CHAPTER 23: Ahaan's Prank

Ira

The alarm beeped a exactly 5:30. It didn't take me long to get up because the bomb Ahaan dropped on me last night was big enough to not let me sleep properly. I went to the washroom and took a quick shower before going into the closet to get ready. I grabbed a saree from my bag and played my downloaded saree tutorial. It took me 20 freaking minutes to wear that 5 metres of cloth piece. But it was worth it in the end. I looked pretty. Unlike what many people would think.

I walked out of the washroom wearing a marigold peach embroidered muslin saree with peach meenakari kundan jhumkas. I twisted my hair into a loose bun and a few strands of hair hung loose on my face. He still laid there, curled up, on the couch.

"Inhe dekho, mujhpe bomb gira kar khud araam se so rahe hain." I muttered to myself.

(Look at him, he is sleeping so peacefully after dropping a bomb on me.)

I walked downstairs via the in-house stairs that connected all three floors. The house seemed awfully quiet given that I had to perform a post-marriage ritual. They were probably too tired after yesterday.

"I can atleast start till everyone gets up. Please help kar dena Krishna ji." I joined my hands infront of the Krishna idol in the mandir(temple).
(Please help me Lord Krishna.)

'But what am I supposed to cook?' I took out a pressure cooker, thankfully it was kept in the top rack so I didn't have to spend time looking for it and decided to start with preparing my infamous dal makhani. Everyone who tasted it back at the hospital and my friends loved it. I hope the family does too.

Oh God, please make them like it.

"Ma'am, what are you doing this early in the kitchen?" Mona Aunty came out of nowhere and scared the heck out of me.

"Oh God, you scared me," I said keeping a hand over my chest trying to control my racing heartbeats. "I was here to prepare a meal for everyone cuz it's my first day here. But you can go back to sleep it's early right now."

"No ma'am. I wake up early daily. It's my routine. Can I help you with something?"

"Oh, okay, yes, you can help me find the ingredients. Could you find me ingredients for dal makhani?" I was new so obviously I had no idea where they kept all the ingredients.

"Yes, sure ma'am. But we will prepare it, you don't need to worry." She gave me a sweet smile.

"Oh no. It's my first day. I will prepare it and please call me Ira, you are older than me." I returned her smile.

"Okay, Ira." She brought me all the ingredients and arranged them in an orderly fashion on the kitchen top infront of me.

"Does everyone like it? It's my first time...I mean it isn't my first time cooking but it is my first time cooking for them. I cook in general." I asked nervously while soaking the lentils and kidney beans in warm water.

"They will enjoy whatever you prepare for them." She assured.

"Alright. Can you tell me some other dishes which they will like?" I took her help in preparing dal makhani, tawa vegetables, pulao, chapati and payasam for dessert. I had started preparing all this at 6:30 a.m. and it was already 10:00 a.m. but still, there was no sign of any family members. Only the househelp were present who were busy with their work. "Mona Aunty, why isn't everyone up yet? I mean I thought they were tired after yesterday but it's already five past ten. Shouldn't they be up yet?"

She looked a bit confused while answering. "Ira, everyone got to bed by 1:30-2 at night. They won't be up till 11- 12 in the noon."

"But it's my first rasoi right." I felt like a fool with the look all the three helps in the kitchen gave me.