CHAPTER 35: Safe Place

Coco

Oh, my God. This is so beautiful. 

As we emerge from the woods, a breathtaking panorama unveils itself before our eyes. I stood on the sand before the most beautiful beach ever. Not that I had been to many in the few months of my life, but our house is sea-facing so I do see seawater a lot when I sit with Bade Dadu-dadi on the balcony, or even when Karan chachu takes me on a walk there.

But this was mesmerising. It was beauty in its purest form. Soft, powdery sands, as fine and delicate as powdered sugar, and conch shells tickled my paws. The beach was embraced by towering cliffs on either side, adorned with lush greenery offering a sense of seclusion and privacy. The cliffs themselves were weathered and sculpted by time, their rugged surfaces softened by the embrace of creeping vines and blossoming flowers. 

The cerulean waters of the ocean lap gently at the shore, creating a rhythmic melody. The water, so clear that so clear that the horizon was difficult to distinguish. Sun's warm embrace bathes the beach in a golden glow and the air is tinged with the sweet scent of salt and blooming flowers. This was so beautiful.

"Oh, my God, Ahaan. This is...divine." Her hands cupped her cheeks as her jaw dropped in awe.

"You liked it?" Dadda had a glint of hope in his eyes and a lingering smile on his face.

"Liked it?" Mumma turned to him. "I loved it, Ahaan. This...this is so beautiful." Mumma's eyes glistened giving the sparkling blue waves a tough competition. Dadda was not behind. But his happiness had a different source. 

A human source.

"Come on now." Dadda held Mumma's hands again and took my strap in his other hand, before taking the backpack from her hands and started walking towards a cliff near the waves.

The cool sea breeze had both my ears and Mumma's hair flying like they show in the movies. This place was truly magical. Dadda definitely knows Mumma's choices. I mean, have you seen his choice of gifts? First me and now this wonderland.

Dadda took out a blush blue soft fabric rug from the backpack and spread it over the powdery sand. He placed took the lying driftwoods and placed them on the rug's edges to prevent it from fluttering because of the breeze.

"When did you pack this?" Mumma asked.

"When you were lazily walking upstairs." Dadda looked at Mumma from the side of his eyes with a smirk.

"So you packed my scrubs, and a rug and got ready within 2 minutes?" 

"You see, I am a fast worker in my day-to-day life Mrs. Jindal. Not so much in the bedroom. If you know you know." he winked at Mumma and all the colours drained from her face. 

Wait... I don't understand this. Didn't he do all this packing in the bedroom? 

Oh. He did this packing in the closet. In the bedroom, he has trouble even while sleeping. He is usually turning and twisting on the couch/ bed. Then he resorts to sleep, facing Mumma.

Stupid Coco.

"Shut up." Mumma retorted.

Dadda pulled out a bottle of water from the backpack and settled down on the rug while Mumma took the place beside him, facing the waters. The rug wasn't much big so even though they weren't sticking to each other, they sat pretty close. 

I, like any other child, started playing in the sand by the rug.

"I didn't know a place like this existed in Mumbai." Mumma's legs were folded to her chest held together by her hands. Her chin rested on her knees, as her beautiful long brown strands danced in the wind. She kept pushing her tresses off her face and tucking them behind her ears.