CHAPTER 46: Truths And Reconciliation

Ahaan

When Aarav got tired of looking at just my face for over an hour, he retired to one of the guestrooms Bhabhi had the attendants prepare for him and Vaani. I called Reet though, because if I wanted to start anything with Ira, I had to get through this with her. 

"Seriously bhai? It's past midnight."  She grouched.

"I need your help." I went straight to the point.

"Yeah, good luck with that because I don't talk to people who disturb my sleep. Does no one know I have my final exams in two weeks." 

"Sure, I do." I SO DO NOT! "But this is about Ira and I know you love her so you will help me." I pulled out the emotional blackmail card.

She stays quiet for a while, probably debating on how to let me down without compromising on helping Ira before speaking again. "Shoot. How did you fuck up?"

"Okay. Why does everyone think that I fucked up? You know what, never mind." There is no gain in defending myself because I did fuck up. "I need your help on how to convince her."

"Ugh. You men know nothing about us. You just fuck up and then ask us to help you." She groaned.

"Would you just help me?" I asked in frustration.

"Fine. But what do I get in return?" 

I should've seen this coming. "What do you want?" 

"You'll owe me a favour in return and I'll cash it when I want. Deal?" I could hear the triumph in her voice. Had she asked for cash or something else, I'd have sent her right away, but given how well I know my sister, this favour will cost me much more than any money ever could but what choice did I have? She had the upper hand here.

"Deal. Now don't make me ask again."

"Fine." She huffed. "Women like men like their book boyfriends."

"Book boyfriends?" I asked my confusion visible.

"Ugh. You're so stupid. You need to channel the qualities of those swoon-worthy fictional guys women fantasize about. Okay, listen. Book boyfriends are patient, understanding, and attentive. They listen to the protagonist, respect her boundaries, and are there for her when she needs support. They make her feel special, cherished, and valued. Basically, they're the perfect blend of sensitivity and strength."

I nodded, trying to absorb the information. "So, you're saying I should be like a character from a romance novel?"

"Exactly! Think Mr. Darcy or Rhett Butler. They have flaws, but they know how to treat a woman right. You messed up, now it's time to become the leading man in Ira Bhabhi's story, not the one causing the conflict."

I sighed, realising the challenge ahead. "Any specific advice?"

"Start by genuinely apologizing, show her you understand where you went wrong, and then prove through your actions that you're willing to change. Be consistent, patient, and, above all, respect her feelings."

I contemplated Reet's words. "Alright, book boyfriend it is. Anything else?"

"Just remember, it's not about grand gestures, but the small, meaningful moments that build trust. From how much I know her, she doesn't get enough sleep. Right?"

"Yeah. Her sleep schedule is all messed up." I think about my conversation with Ira earlier when we were discussing her sleep schedule and food.

"Okay. Here me out." She chirped. "Draw her a warm bath with calming bath salts and essential oils. And you are great at giving head massages, you used to give me them all the time, so you could give her a head massage and you know relieve the tension on her shoulders and light up some scented candle or a diffuser with calming scents. And avoid screen time, I read somewhere that it has stimulating effects. Also, shut all the curtains and put on some calming music or white noise. Trust me she'll love it. Besides, it's said that if you tire yourself before bedtime, it results in a good night's sleep, so maybe you could do your magic on her." I could hear the quirkiness of her tone.