CHAPTER 7: Trauma Incoming

Ira 

The rest of the week went by in no time. We visited the local attractions, Ooty and The Bandipur national park. Most of my stress has seeped out of my body. I had decided that whatsoever happens I won't let anyone harm my sanity ever again.

I returned back to my place yesterday afternoon and had rejoined my work. Ansh had already returned 2 days back and was back at work.

"So how was your trip?" he asks me as we walk down the ramp to the trauma room. We were on trauma service today so definitely this was going to be a long day.

"It was good. We even visited Ooty. The place was beautiful!"

"Didn't I tell you", he turns to the reception and addresses to the RN (registered nurse) on duty, "Hello Mrs. Iyer! Where do you want us today?"

"Dr. Garg and Dr. Mehta. How was your vacation?" she asks shuffling through the computer records.

"Refreshing. How about you Mrs. Iyer how is the little boy of your's doing? Is his leg okay now?" I ask reminded of her twelve year old who pulled one of his muscle during his hockey tournament

"He is better now. No limping and no pain.", she pulls out two electronic tabs from her desk and hands it over to us, "Here, Dr. Ahuja needs you in the VIP lounge. Be discreet." That's all she says before she hushes us away. We silently walk towards the VIP lounge making sure no one sees us entering. Such instances happen when some VIP patient wants to get themselves checked but they don't want any media person to know about it.

We open the door to VIP lounge where stand two chaperones blocking our way, "Who are you? No one is allowed here."

Before we could say anything Dr. Bhalla calls out to them to let us in. There were all the department heads Dr. Ahuja being the Chief of Trauma, Dr. Bhalla was the chief of Cardio, Dr. Chopra- the chief of gynaecology and obstetrics, Dr. Kapoor- the head of orthopedics and Dr. Gupta- the chief of neurology. Other than them four other resident surgeons and six nurses stood. Our hospital was rather large with a big staff so it wouldn't really falter our other patients health with so many of us being here but as all the department heads stood here it seemed concerning.

"Okay, so all the residents and nurses present here. As you might have made out till now that this is a big case. We have two patients who are under anesthesia and on the operating table. As they requested, their names cannot be revealed, but all the other details have been uploaded in their records present on your electronic tabs. To give you all an overview it was a car accident and both the patients are women. One of which is in her middle age and the other one is pregnant. You are supposed to scrub in and get mentally ready for a long day. Three of you will be in O.R. 1 and other three will be in O.R. 2. No one is allowed to go out till we say so. Now quickly go through the details and move into the O.R. according to what is present on your tab. Be fast and affective. We can't afford any mistakes." and with that all of them left for the Operation Room.

We too quickly scrubbed into or respective O.R. I was supposed to be with the pregnant lady while Ansh was in the next room. Dr Chopra along with another resident and Dr. Ahuja started operating on her lower abdomen to get the baby out. According to the reports the baby's heartrate was okay but as it was almost full term and the mother's heart was under pressure we had to get it out. I was observing the mother and baby's heartrate and other vitals.

"I need someone here to cut the cord" Dr. Chopra says, " Come here Dr. Mehta help us out." I stand  and walk to them while some other resident took my place. Dr. Chopra stood there with another surgeon holding her abdomen open while Dr. Ahuja held the crying baby in his arms. I took the scissors from the nurse and cut the umbilical cord. "Take the baby to the ICU and clean him up" Dr Ahuja handed over the baby to me and I wraped him in a  clean towel and kept him in the incubator before taking him to the ICU.

The baby was fine. He had strong vitals and really strong heartbeat. This one was a warrior for sure. 

I ask the nurse on duty to be there and page me if there is anything wrong but by the time I reach the O.R. again it's total and utter chaos. Dr. Bhalla stood there over the patient's chest, with electric pads in his hands asking the nurse to charge up the defibrillator. She was in cardiac arrest. I immediately scrub in again and get inside the O.R. " There is no pulse." Dr.Bhalla says to everyone there.

"No, wait!" I almost shout, " I see a pulse there" I point out to the monitor.

"No, Dr. Mehta there is no pulse"

"There is sir, I can see it. She just had her child. We can't give up so quick let's try again please. Just for the baby?" She just nods and I instruct the nurse to inject more epinephrine.

We continue CPR and keep charging the defibrillator. I know no one else sees it but I can see a faint pulse and I won't let a newborn loose his mother just for our mistake. We continue this for 45 minutes before there is a visible pulse on the monitor.

" She's back." There is a loud round of applause in the O.R. "Let's keep her under observation" Dr. Chopra says to everyone and we all just nod. "Good work Dr. Mehta you have no idea how big of a save you made today. Now as you have been of essence here you stay here with the patient and keep a close watch on her. If there is anything wrong call me immediately."

"Yes ma'am, but what about the baby?"

"I will have some other resident take care of him." She scrubs out while I wait for the nurses to move the patient out into the VIP I.C.U. 

When I get out of the O.R. It is already dark. Turns out it was a big day. I was in there for almost 13 hours. "Dr. Ira, we already talked to the patient's family but you too should talk to your patient's husband. He wanted to meet you and thank you personally, he is in ICU no. 2 with his mother. Also if possible convince him to get himself checked too. He and his father were also in the car wreck but they won't let anyone treat them. From the looks of it we could make out it was nothing serious so we didn't force them but it would be good if we check them ourselves." Dr. Ahuja instructs me," Also good work today, Mehta!" he says patting my back.

" Thankyou sir. Is the other patient okay " I ask earning just a nod. He doesn't speak more than required. I move towards the ICU to meet the family when two men open the door and come out themselves. I could see some other man sitting on a chair placed beside the I.C.U. bed where laid the other patient, holding her hand.

"Good evening sir, I am Dr. Ira Mehta. I was one of the doctor's on your wife's team" I say to mainly the tall young man standing infront of me, extending my arm for a handshake which he returned after giving his father a glance.

"Yeah...yeah ...thank you soo much Dr. Ira you have done a huge favour on our family. Thankyou so much for saving my wife's life. I owe you. Please tell me what can I do for you?"

"No sir. Whatever I did was my duty you don't owe me anything"

"Then let me do something for you. Just name it."

"How about both of you get yourselves check. I know it has been a long day for your family but you too are injured and now that both of your wives are stable, if you could just let us help you out too i would be a favour."  I request.

Both of them smile and give me a nod. "You are a great child ,dear, and an even better doctor. Your parents are lucky to have you as their daughter." the elderly man says patting my head a little.

I just smile and ask them to wait till I send somone to get them checked.

Only if they knew who and how my parents were

.

.

.

.

Another update!!!

So who do you think this family is? Do leave your views about the chapter.

Also, please tell me if you would like me to increase the length tog the chapter. Currently it stays around 1400-1500 words.

Don't forget to leave your vote. I work really hard for this.

Have a nice day everyone<3