CHAPTER 16: The Announcement

Ahaan

"Uhm uhm...if you two are done gawking at each other shall we get the ladies some drink?" Vihaan bhai said and I heard everyone giggling. Blood rushed to my face leaving me feeling sheepish. I need to get myself checked. I always end up behaving like a teenage boy when she's near. Maybe she could help me book an appointment with a doctor at her hospital.

But God she looked breathtaking in that white outfit. She looked divine, a Goddess.

I introduced myself to Vaani because according to others we were meeting for the first time. I also wanted to thank her for keeping the news of the accident confidential but I could do that later. "What will you two have?" Bhabhi asked them and both ordered a glass of champagne, and so did I. Alcohol will be a necessity for me tonight.

"So Ira Bhabhi? Tell us something about yourself. We just know that you are a Mehta and a fabulous cardiothoracic resident at the City hospital." Karan uttered.

"Uhm," she said sipping her drink, "I grew up here in Mumbai itself. Most of my childhood was spent at my grandparent's place where I met Vaani and we became friends as she was a neighbour to them. As a child, I was interested in human anatomy and to put the prefix Dr before my name so in junior college I chose science. Further during MBBS my interest in the heart increased so I chose cardiology as my specialty and even though this job is draining, I love it. I have an elder sister who is married and currently in Mysore. A younger brother, Veer who's your age and is currently working with Dad in his business. He's standing there with Dad." She pointed to where both our parents were standing.

"Then why is he there? Let me get him." Karan said keeping his finished glass on the counter and moving to them.

"So, do your mom and sister too help in the family business?" Bhabhi asked her.

"No bhabhi, they don't work."

"Uh huhh, home makers that's difficult. Cheers to them." Bhabhi replied raising her jar, "But that means you are the first working woman huh? Your parents must be proud of you?" Ira just passed her a smile. A fake smile. Were they not proud of her? How could that be possible? She is an excellent surgeon.

Karan returned with Veer and we all started mingling together. Her nervousness seemed to be seeping out of her body and ease settling in. She was feeling comfortable which was visible. Her smile was proof. The real smile. Which made her big eyes look small and creased at the edges. This woman was beautiful inside out.

All our heads turned to a slightly elevated round stage present, in the center of the garden, where Dad stood clinking his champagne glass with a spoon alongside Mom dressed in a blond-yellow evening gown. "Ladies and gentlemen, me and my wife, on behalf of our entire family welcome you all to our extraordinary mask party! As the night unfolds, may laughter fill the air, dances swirl, and memories be etched in our hearts. Let us savour the thrill of the unknown and cherish this moment of shared delight.

I stand before you today with immense joy to share not one but two wonderful announcements. As you all know my elder son Vihaan and his wife Saanchi were to welcome a baby and today our hearts are filled with love and gratitude as we welcome our adorable grandchild into this world, Aariv Jindal. We are humbled by this incredible blessing, and cannot wait to shower this little one with love, wisdom, and affection as he embarks on his journey of life.", There is a loud round of applause and congratulations are showered as Dad speaks again.

"But the joy doesn't end there. It is with immense joy and pride that I stand before you today to announce a momentous occasion in the life of my younger son, Ahaan. Today, we gather here to celebrate the beginning of a new chapter in his life as he embarks on a journey filled with love, commitment, and happiness with Dr Ira Mehta, daughter to the very famous publishers Shourya Mehta and his wife Sandhya Mehta." There are cheers and applause again. "Thank you everyone. You may know where the masks are kept before you on your tables and join us for a dance with your partners. I would also request my family to join me on the stage with their respective partners." Dad ends his speech and my breath hitches. Oh, good God. Do I need to dance now? with her? I hate dancing.

I see confusion marring her face so I take out two masks from my pocket and hold them in front of her, "I have yours." She gives me a shy smile and extends her hand to take it from me but I close my fist around it. "It needs to be tied...so..let me help?" She looks into my eyes as if I took her breath away and takes a few seconds before nodding a little and turning her back to me. That's when I noticed that the satin was barely covering her back and a long tattoo was just over her spine hiding behind her long brown curls.

Damn! Why did I wanna lose control every time she was near?

Bhai and Bhabhi had already moved to the stage leaving Aariv with his nanny, Aarav and Vaani had gone to find themselves a mask while Karan and Veer were off to find themselves a dance partner. I stepped closer to her and held the mask in front of her. She tried to help me settle it on her face and her long, slender fingers brushed with my warm and thick ones and my breath hitched. 

What was I, fourteen?

She smelled of vanilla, amber and uniqueness.

 Deep. Sensual. Bold. 

I tied the mask around her head and could feel her pulse heighten. 

Did she feel this nervousness around me too, just like I did?

 I tied my mask too and held out a hand in her direction, stepping forward. "May I?", she gave me a sweet smile and nodded a yes, holding my hand. And there was that spark again. What was she, an electric pole?

She looked like darkness enveloped in a white angel costume, perfectly complimenting my bright devil-like attire.

We fit together like a perfect piece of different puzzle. Not made for each other, yet so perfect.

.

.

.

.

They are about to have their first dance!!! I know this chapter was a bit boring but I promise the next chapter will be very interesting.

Don't forget to like, comment and follow!!

Have a pretty day you all<3