CHAPTER 10: The Spark

Ahaan

"You wanna see your nephew?", she says breaking the silence in the room and my head turns to meet her honey brown gaze, "I mean it's late so you can't meet him but you can see her from outside. It's scientifically proven that babies tend to reduce stress and I think you need that." This woman is not just an excellent doctor but also a good human. I nod and pass her a faint smile. "Okay. Let me call some other doctor to be here until we are gone." she pulls out her phone and dials some number. "Hey could you come here? I need to take a walk.....Okay." she speaks on the phone. We wait for some time there until there is a door sliding noise and that nudger comes in.

"Hey." he wishes me and extends a hand in my direction. "Well, we haven't formally met yet. I am Dr. Ansh Garg. I am an orthopedic resident."

I take his hand in a firm grip, "Ahaan Jindal. It was nice meeting you doctor."

"Just Ansh is fine." I just smile and Ira speaks.

"Ok. Ansh? Please be here while we are gone and call me immediately if you see anything wrong. Can you do that?" Ira nterrupts.

He smirks ,"Yeah sure."

I ignore the smirking and the two of us move out. She inform the nurse on duty the same and we take the lift to the fourth floor and move straight towards the NICU. Just like the third floor this one too was designed in a circular plan with a nurse's station with two nurses stationed there in the middle, but this one was a little smaller. We stop near a room with glass big glass for people to see inside. It was painted a faint yellow colour with some birds drawn on the wall oposite to wear I stood. A nurse sat inside at a small desk with her computer, probably doing some work. There were like ten babies there...a few in a deep sleep while the others cooing in their security blanket on their beds. 

"He's the second one from the left here." she says pointing out to the baby lying on the second bed, from the left, near the glass window. An instant smile appears on my face looking at my nephew. Oh. My. God. He is soo beautiful. He lies there cooing in his blue security blanket with one of his hand out and moving while his legs wiggle inside. His head wraped in a small blue cap that covered his ears. His big eyes were wide open showing off his grey eyes just like bhabhi and that small button nose with that small rosy lips were just like bhai's. His skin was light and all flushed.

"He's healthy? No injuries or any concussion from the wreck?" I ask her because that's all that matters, he should be happy and healthy.

"He is perfectly healthy and strong." I nod and we stand there for sometime more just admiring my nephew.

"I thought this a VIP wing. I mean all these babies?" I ask.

"Yeah. It is. But this wing is joined to the main building through the first floor and the fourth floor so even though the rest of the wing is not accessed that often, the fourth floor shares a common NICU." she turns to me and says, "You don't need to worry though, no one will know who he belongs to. The ID band on his wrist says VIP patient so..." that makes me chuckle.

"We try to not make it to the news that's why bhai made sure to have this whole confidential thing. It was already very chaotic and then having to face media on top of that is ...you know... too much. You might know. Your family too stays in the news."

"Yeah..yeah..I do.", she says suddenly turning  bit serious and awkward.

"I am sorry did I make you awkward?"

"No...no. You want something to eat while I get some coffee for myself?"

"Yeah. Coffee sounds good." I say mimicing her from our converstion on the plane. I cast a last glance at the baby boy and we move towards the wending and coffee machine located at the far end of the room. She takes a paper tumbler from the stack and gets herself a cup.

"I am sorry. I would have asked you for coffee too, but it's two in the morning and you very clearly haven't slept and caffeine isn't a good option." and there she does her eye thing again.She's cute. Wait I shouldn't be thinking that way! "

"Well you are the doctor. You know better." we both smile and move towards a door opposite to the nurse's station. It was the roof. The air was breezy and the sky, still cloudy. We stand near the balcony rail. 

"It's been a long day."

"It has and you while I go back and sleep. You still have to stay up?"

"Duty calls." she says sipping on her coffee. 

"Thankyou for today Dr.Mehta. I heard what you did. You did us all a big favour."

"No. It was my duty Mr.Jindal. This is what I have been trained to do."

"That's big of you to say. You will be a great surgeon one day." I say keeping my left hand over her right one and I feel a spark. I know she does too by the look in her eyes. We stand there just like that. Hands still touching, looking into each other's eyes, standing so close it feels like the air around us has thinned and the entire world has stopped. Oh my God these eyes of her's. They hold soo many emotions but God does she hide them well. Someone who doesn't pay enough attention wouldn't notice the darkness she holds behind that bright smile of her's. She carries something very painful behind those vivid honey-brown irises. Who was the real her?

"I...I think I should get going." she says pulling me out of my trance and taking her hand away from mine. I don't know why but the lack of warmth of her hand felt not right. But it shouldn't!

"Yeah. Me too."

"Have a goodnight Mr. Jindal"

"Just call me Ahaan."

She nods and says, "Good night Ahaan." and gives me a faint smile.

"Good night Ira" I say in a hushed voice and see her disappearing figure.

What was that?

.

.

.

.

So what is this spark between them?

Did you all like the chapter?

Do leave your views and don't forget to like and follow!

Happy day everyone<3