A9 C251: First Entry into the World

ARC 9

[It was a book covered in dust, never opened by anyone.

It was a story unknown to people, never having seen the light of day.

Then, on a damp and dark rainy night, it was abandoned on the roadside, slowly sinking into the sewer's muck, rotting away with the blotchy bloodstains on its pages, gradually dissolving on a warm spring day.

Just as someone with a bright future should not die in mediocrity, a blind person should not die under the scorching sun.

The author of this book is unknown, the ending is unknown,

Just like most people who never get results in life.

That's all to it.]

—Excerpt from "Bright Day."

July had begun to heat up, but the business district and office buildings were always bustling with traffic and people, showing no sign of retreat despite the scorching temperature.

Editor Lin was in his office sorting out discarded manuscripts. He was in his early fifties, with a round belly, and was finding it challenging to handle such physical work. Despite the air conditioning, his back was sweaty and wet.

This place used to be a mid-sized online literature company. However, due to certain reasons, it was now on the verge of bankruptcy. Editor Lin had laid off most of the staff, leaving only one assistant, planning to clean up and close down as soon as possible.

The assistant didn’t want to change jobs. He put down a box of heavy photocopying materials, then sat down and fanned himself with his shirt hem, panting, "Editor, are you really going to close down like this? If it doesn't work out, we could hire some new authors, collect a few promising manuscripts, and maybe turn things around."

"Rubbish!" Editor Lin, who used to be refined, now rarely cursed, "Look at who dares to submit manuscripts now. They all say I'm jinxed! Anyone who submits a manuscript to me will die! Who in their right mind would risk their life to gamble with me?"

The assistant stammered, "They're just spreading rumors to harm you, although... it does seem a bit coincidental..."

Editor Lin used to be very successful, with many top authors under his wing. However, for some reason, those authors seemed to be cursed and began to die in bizarre ways one after another.

One or two deaths could be overlooked, but a string of deaths in succession was unbelievable.

The assistant remembered something and sighed, "Teacher Jiang is vacationing abroad and hasn’t been writing lately. Teacher Sang went on a sea trip recently and accidentally drowned."

He wanted to say they were cursed to death but didn't dare to speak out.

Editor Lin glared at him, "How do you know he drowned? What if he was just being reckless and died from the waves?"

The assistant hesitated and agreed, "That... could be possible, after all, Professor Sang was quite a playboy..."

Just as they were talking, a faint knock came from outside. Editor Lin instinctively looked up and saw a furry head shyly asking, "Excuse me, are you hiring here?"

He held a crumpled job advertisement, obviously torn from a wall or a utility pole.

Editor Lin suddenly remembered that he had put up a hiring notice outside a while ago because he was overwhelmed with manuscripts but had forgotten to take it down.