Chapter 43

I keep my head turned, watching people as they hurry towards the ceremony. Their eyes glance at my carriage, just trying to get a glimpse. "Katarina, do you love Nicholas?" The question swallows me whole as I turn my eyes back to my brother. Seeing him sitting in front of me, worry sitting on his face.

"I..." I pause, looking down at the blue rose in my hands.

"Katarina?"

"I care for him." I look up at my brother. "He saved my life that night... The night of the assassination attempt." I slowly turn my eyes toward the carriage door, I will remember that night for the rest of my life. The way he looked at me, scared for my life. My enemy turned into a friend in just that small moment. "I think there is a chance for us to love each other," I whisper. Watching as we pass through a flowered archway, the carriage slows down as it begins to turn. Before finally coming to a stop. A red carpet lined up perfectly with the bottom of my carriage. I wonder if Nicholas is just as nervous as I am. I watch my wolves sit alongside the red carpet, the boys sitting along the right side while the girls sit along the left. A guard appears on my left side, pulling the carriage door open. "You ready?" I turn my eyes back to Sebastian.

"Well, there is no going back now." I smile. Soft violins begin to play quietly as Sebastian steps out of the carriage. I watch him carefully as he adjusts his coat, beginning to turn back toward me. Drums thunder with blazing trumpets. I slowly stand, keeping my head slightly bowed. I keep the bouquet in my left hand, placing my right softly in my brother's hand. I inhale a long breath, stepping down onto the small step. Placing my left foot on the ground. Sebastian walks forward a little and I follow, straightening my head as I smile at my brother. I slowly turn my eyes up the steps, looking at every step in front of me before my eyes rest on him.

The breath in my lungs freezes as I stare up at Nicholas. Seeing him waiting up at the top of the two flights of stairs. His eyes widen, his eyes locked on me as mine rest on him. His dark brown hair is pushed back, but a couple of strands hand down in front of his eyes. His golden crown shines in the sun as it sits on top of his head. His all-black suit looks like the one he wears every day, except for the blue tire around his neck. The azure blue looks good on him. I smile, letting the breath leave my lips. I squeeze my brother's hand, letting him know I am ready. "You ready?" Sebastian whispers.

"Mhm." I smile, turning my eyes back to Nicholas. Sebastian and I take a breath together, walking toward the steps. My wolves stand as we begin to move, walking alongside us. I can't take my eyes off of him and he doesn't take his eyes off of me. His golden-brown eyes are always so intense, but they are no longer scary to me. Sebastian and I reach the long platform between the two flights of stairs. I pause for a moment, allowing myself to take another deep breath. I pull on Sebastian's hand a little, continuing up the remaining steps. There is no going back... Nor do I want to. From now on, I will fulfill my duty to my people with the one who stands before me.

We finally reach the top, and Nicholas stands in front of me. A small grin appears on his face as he continues to stare into my eyes. Everyone can see us standing here, staring into each other's eyes. Sebastian's hand slips from mine, allowing me to hold my flowers with both hands. Nicholas's eyes lower a little, noticing the blue rose within my bouquet. "Who comes before the old gods on this day?"

"Katarina Freethorn, Queen of Adhara and Protector of the Snowspell people. Come here to be wed. A woman who is truly born and the last Great Wolf Vessel. Who comes to claim her?" My brother speaks proudly, allowing everyone to hear. Nicholas and I don't break eye contact as he steps forward, shrinking the space between us. I can feel his body heat radiating off of him.

"Nicholas Warhelm, Heir to the Kraghon Throne. Who gives her." His eyes slowly leave me, looking toward my brother.

"Prince Sebastian, the firstborn son of Eleanor and Robert Freethorn. Kin and Queen of the Kingdom of Adhara. The Queen Katarina's only living relative."

"Katarina." The priest's voice carries over us like a wave. "Do you take this man?"

I turn my eyes back up at Nicholas, taking a step closer. "I take this man."

"THIS DAY!" The priest calls out, holding his arms out to his sides. "THIS IS A DAY THAT WILL BE MARKED IN HISTORY! A DAY OF GREAT CELEBRATION!! Today, the Ancient Royals will now be joined in marriage! We shall now all bear witness... As our kingdom's future, our royal couple shows their devotion." I slowly turn, handing my flowers off to my brother. I turn back to Nicholas, his eyes still stuck on me. I slowly lower my eyes, seeing his hands held out to me. I smile, laying my hands softly in his. Watching his fingers wrap around the top of my hands. "Before the Heavens! Before their elders... and finally... They shall show their devotion before each other." Nicholas and I both slowly begin to bow our heads in respect. Showing we shall ever be faithful to each other, to our families, to our people, and our countries. "THE NEWLY WEDDED COUPLE!" The crowd roars with cheers and people clapping. Finally seeing two rivals now hand in hand.

"We are now one," I whisper.

"Yes," His right hand leaves mine, brushing his fingertips against my cheek. I close my eyes for a moment, leaning into his touch. I slowly open my eyes, watching him lean his head down. I slowly close my eyes again as his hand rests against my cheek, his lips pressing against mine. The noise around us seems to disappear into nothing as I kiss him back. We both instinctively pull back, opening our eyes to look at one another.

"The rings." I turn my head back toward the Priest, seeing Her Majesty step forward. She holds a small box in her hands, offering it to Nicholas. Nicholas smiles, opening it slowly to take out my ring. I turn my eyes a little, trying to get a peek at it. He slowly slides a gold band around my left ring finger, and a blue gem shines against the sun. I smile, taking a ring from my brother, and slipping it onto Nicholas's finger.

"See my queen, that wasn't so hard was it?" Nicholas chuckles. I smile, looking up into his dark eyes.

"Not in the slightest." I keep my hands in his, squeezing them a little.

"Forever and Always?" He smiles.

My smile grows as I rest my forehead against his. "Forever and Always," I whisper, wanting to stay in this moment.

We both straighten, just staring into each other eyes for a moment. Nicholas is the first to look away, turning towards his people. I turn with him, looking out at the large crowd in front of us. "TODAY MARKS THE START OF A NEW ERA!" His voice is strong, the crowd goes silent with the roar of his voice.

"Three hundred years ago, this war started to devastate both our Great Nations. The Kingdom of Kraghon and Adhara are both the same. Sending thousands of our people to the slaughter. Today, we can officially say... NO MORE!! No more men leaving for battle, no more children growing up without their fathers." Nicholas's voice is strong, capturing everyone's attention... Even my own. I smile, tightening my grip around his hand as I look over the crowd. "We will swear by everything in our power to protect this realm, and to never follow in our ancestor's footsteps! Let it be known to those who stand against us, that we will face the wrath of not just one but two powerful Royals! From now on till the end... WE STAND AS ONE!!" Everyone begins cheering again, only it sounds louder this time.

"GGGGRRRRROOOOAAARRR!!" I raise my eyes, seeing two Dragons flying overhead. Fire burst out of their mouths. I smile, watching their red bellies circle over us. My wolves begin to howl at our sides. I slowly turn to face Nicholas, his other hand slides into mine. Intertwining our fingers.

"We are united, from Now Till the End of Our Lives."

"I like the sound of that." I smile. "Looks like someone's beast is out of hibernation." I smile.

"Looks so so." he grins.

"LONG LIVE THE ROYALS!! LONG LIVE THE ROYALS!!" The guards pound the end of their spears against the ground, and everyone in the crowd joins in. "LONG LIVE THE ROYALS!!"

"You are amazingly beautiful, Katarina." He whispers, looking me over.

"Thank you, your highness." I smile.

"Let's go." Nicholas smiles, and we both turn at the same time, hurrying down the steps. I giggle quickly reaching up to make sure my crown doesn't fall. My right hand is on his left as we run down towards the carriage. All the curtains are pulled back now so that everyone can see inside. Nicholas slips in first, watching me climb in after him. Sliding into the seat beside him. The horses are quick to move, leading us back into the village.