Chapter 17

"I'm fine... I just need to get some fresh air... That's all... Really I am fine!" I respond, getting back up onto my feet. I keep my back to him, finally able to take in a couple of deep breaths. I lower my eyes, remembering my blackout. How I was lying in the cold, but couldn't feel anything. Laying beside my father but was unable to tell him that I love him or that I miss him. Crying inside for help but he didn't even look at me, only said my name. It felt as though I was being buried in the snow... That's why I couldn't feel anything... It was beginning to freeze over. Not allowing me to move. I blink quickly, seeing my mother's tea blend scattered across the floor.

"No, you're not Katarina." Nicholas grabs my arm, putting his other arm around my waist. "What's wrong, just tell me-"

"I can't!" I try to pull away without looking at him. Beginning to doubt myself on whether or not I can do this. I don't know if I am strong enough! His arm around my waist gets tighter, holding me against him. "Please Nicholas!" I raise my voice. No... No... Not like this... My mind starts to panic, needing an escape... "Please let me... go!"

"No, Katarina! Not unless you give me a good reason for why I should. Look at you, you came here in the gown that I chose for you. You implored me to believe that you did and do not wish to harm me... Yet in return, you can't even explain why you're suddenly acting this way." I try to squirm out of his grip. Hating him deep down for how much stronger he is than me. "You think I'm a fool? Do you think I haven't noticed how strangely you have behaved in my presence? How long do you think you can last until whatever it is your hiding catches up to your tail?"

"Please, I can't let them see me in this state!" Tears begin to fall from my eyes, still able to feel the cold of the snow. The flakes are still landing on my cheeks and in my hair. My face feels as though it is starting to turn to ice from the cold.

"Who are they?" He responds, trying to fight my squirming.

"You." I finally pull away from him, but he pulls me back against him. "My people, everyone. How could I let them know... I promised that I'd try to be..." My words get covered up by my tears. Unable to stop them or even attempt to control them. I can't get myself from his grasp... This is so frustrating!

"Dammit, Katarina.. You're not making any sense! Just look at the state you are in... What are you trying to do?"

I finally pull myself away from him, spinning back towards him. "I am trying to be STRONG!" I scream in his face. "Like her." I gasp, my body exhausted from fighting against his. "I have to be..."

"Please, take it easy." His arms wrap around me slowly, pulling me against him. My body hurts, I let my arms hang down by my sides, standing against him.

"M-My head." My feet feel numb. His grip grows tighter, keeping me on my feet.

"Your highness?" I raise my head, seeing the physician and maidens hurrying our way. Nicholas turns away from me, waiting for them to get closer. I look at him, knowing what I am about to do will anger him... But I can't stay here. I pick up the front of my dress, hurrying out of sight. I press my right hand against my stomach as I run through the halls, feeling my head spinning in circles. My stomach twists and burns as I run.

My lie is catching up to me... The lie that I have been telling myself over and over again for years. Nicholas... How does he... I can't bring myself to face him right now. I reach down, dropping my dress. I grab the pillar in front of me, helping me turn a sharp corner. Not after what he has just seen. Flaire and her Generals are already wishing that I was dead. They want me dead instead of our two nations coming together in peace.

They want this war... they want to see innocent blood be spilled because this is all they know. This alliance isn't something they saw coming until Sylvia made it happen... I slow down... Sylvia made this alliance happen... Someone has to be working behind the scenes to give Sylvia the order... I turn another corner quickly. I try to take in a breath, but a hand moves over my mouth, turning me into a small corner. Pushing me against the wall. "MPH!!"