Chapter 41

Maya made every effort to make sure I was in bed early last night, wanting me to get as much rest as possible. Only sleep did not come easy. The assassin's masks still haunt my mind when I close my eyes. Being in the dark makes it even worse, remembering how dark everything was around me. My skin feeling cold for the first time. Cold weather has never bothered me before. I use my right forearm to push myself off my right side to turn onto my left. My head rests against my silk pillows, staring out my open balcony doors. The cool morning breeze swirls into my room, beginning the cool morning light.

I lay still for a moment before instinctively pushing my covers off my body. I take a moment before forcing myself to sit up, sliding my feet into my white slippers. "Ahh!" A yawn pulls my eyes behind me, seeing Ace pick up his head to look at me. His ears flick back and forth. He slowly stands up, leaning back to stretch his front legs.

"Good Morning Ace." I smile. "Come," I lower my eyes as I force myself onto my feet, feeling my wound tug slightly. Ace jumps down beside me, leaning forward to stretch his hind legs. I shuffle across the floor, making my way out onto the balcony. Watching the sun beginning to rise for the morning. I hear Ace's paws tap the wooden floor as he comes outside to join me. I lay my hands against the cold stone railing that faces out toward the Kingdom of Kraghon. The rising sun makes the sky a beautiful yellow, orange, and pink mixture. I lower my eyes for a moment, watching Ace sit beside me. He only leaves a sliver of space between us. His bright yellow/orange eyes stare up at me. "It's my Wedding Day." My left-hand raises from the cold stone, brushing over the bandage wrapped tightly around my right arm. My eyes drift up, looking at the abandoned part of the palace grounds. I wish that night would stop replaying in my head. I wish I could forget the details of that night to give my mind a break. That night cost Nicholas and me so much time together. I have been in Kraghon for about a month. I still feel like I have hardly seen or spent any time with my future husband. I allow my hand to slip from my arm as I force my eyes back to Nicholas's Kingdom. Today will stop all the bloodshed. Today will make the day innocent people will no longer have to spill the blood of another.

This day will allow both of our Kingdoms to begin to rebuild. The vast battlefields will turn back to fertile farmlands as they were so long ago. A paw swipes my leg, making me look down at Ace. "I'm sorry, Ace. Am I not giving you enough attention?" I turn to kneel in front of him, allowing him to put his head down on my knees. His ears pinch back as he looks up at me through his big eyes. I smile, running my fingertips between his ears.

I wish I could figure out how Mother was able to see through Ember's eyes with such ease. It seems to only happen when I am in distress or randomly, I don't have control. I feel like my wolves are trying to talk to me, but I am just not able to hear them. "Come on, let's go wake up your brothers and sisters. Today is going to be quite a long day." I smile, pushing myself up. I start to turn back to the balcony doors, Ace is quick to run past me. "Ace!" I giggle, hurrying after him, watching him pounce on the bed. Jumping on top of his siblings. "Ace, that is not what I meant..." I giggle, sitting down on the edge of the bed. Ace quickly turns his head towards me, tilting his head again before tugging on Akita's ear.

KNOCK... KNOCK... I slowly turn my head towards the door. I wonder who that might be?... I slowly push myself up, grabbing my robe from the bench. I quickly throw it over my shoulders. It can't be Maya already. Can it? "Just a moment." I pull the silk ribbon around my waist. Twisting the ribbon in my hands, pulling it into a bow on my right side. I press my hands against the fabric, flattening out some wrinkles. I reach for the door, slowly turning the handle. I keep my eyes low as I slowly pull the door open, only pulling it open a crack.

"Good morning." I quickly raise my eyes, seeing Nicholas standing in front of me.

"Nicholas..." I quickly glance over my shoulder back at my wolves. Seeing Akita now jumping on top of Ace. Reaching for his ear. "What are you doing here?" I look back at him, leaning against the door. Making the crack even smaller.