Chapter 14

The night begins to fall as the maidens pour into my room. One of them wants to be the one to come up with the best hairstyle for my wedding day. I sit in front of my large mirror. Pillows piled around me so that I can sit comfortably. I raise my eyes, watching the setting sun through the mirror. Seeing its beautiful colors staring back at me. I let out a slow breath, imagining my mother standing on the balcony, watching the colors form in the sky. "Milady?" I blink quickly, turning my eyes back to the maiden behind me in the mirror.

"Yes?"

"Are you alright? You seem a bit distracted."

"No, I am quite alright." I smile, watching the girls huddled behind me, giggling with one another. Some stand around the different hairpieces Her Majesty has allowed me to borrow on my big day. Some of them are quite beautiful pieces, I just don't know which one will be just right... I turn my eyes back to the mirror, watching the maiden behind me begin to braid a strand of my hair. I take a deep breath, having the encounter with the prince sitting in the back of my mind.

"Milady, your hair is so beautiful and soft." I open my eyes, just in time to watch the sun disappear underneath the horizon.

"Just a bit longer and I'm sure we'll find the right style for you, Milady." Maya kneels down behind me, having a large grin on her face.

"This next hairstyle is going to be the one!" A maiden squeals beside the hairpieces, just waiting for her turn.

"Oh just you wait, I have an even better one!" Another girl giggles, waiting to outdo each other.

"Ladies," I turn my head back towards them. "I don't mean to spoil your fun here, but can we put this on hold for the night and continue on another day."

"B-But Milady, the wedding is just a week away!" Maya sits down beside me. "The whole Kingdom will be watching this grand event. We can't just prepare-"

"Think of the dreamy prince." Another maiden twirled behind me.

"How can you hope to inspire him on your wedding night like this?! Everything must be perfect! Just don't worry about anything, milady. Just leave this matter to us, your Majesty." I smile, turning my head back to the mirror.

The Royal Wedding is only a week away. By this time next week... I am going to be married. No less to a man I've hardly seen or spoken to since the day I arrived... A man that has resented me and proven to put no trust in me even though I have put trust in him. He is so closed off, not allowing me to get to know him or for him to know me. "Besides the upcoming wedding, is there any other news?" Maya asks from behind me.

"Oh! I heard that since the armistice, many of the soldiers are being sent home!"

"Really?" I ask, trying to pay no mind to the maiden tugging on strands of my hair.

"It's true! The war is practically over... Some of the troops already arrived this morning." One of the girls giggles.

"OH! I just tear up thinking about how those poor children must have felt seeing their fathers again! Their wives must have been in tears too!"

"I know what you mean... I can't wait until my true love returns from the war." A girl giggles.

"What? You don't have true love!"

"I'm going to meet him when he gets here!" The girl fires back, giggling under her breath. I smile, shaking my head a little.

"I wonder how many soldiers have returned home to Adhara." I take a deep breath, looking back into the mirror.

"I don't know, Milady." The girl behind me responds. I lowered my eyes, wishing I was back home to greet the tired soldiers. To welcome them into the palace to get food and warmth. To be able to see their wives cry at the sight of their husbands, holding them again. To see their children running through the snow with shoes that don't quite fit right to hug their fathers again. I wish I could run towards... I wish I could see the peace on their faces. This is the peace my parents were hoping for me to see.

I close my eyes, seeing my parents in the back of my mind. If only I could just hold you again. If I could just hear your voices... Just to let you know, this war is finally coming to an end. "FINISHED!" the girl behind me shouts. "Tears well up in my eyes, missing my family. "She's crying! M-Milady, are you alright?" She brushes her hands over my shoulders. "Did I do such a terrible job?" I try to stop the tears, opening my eyes to loook at what the child did.

"No child." I bite my bottom lip. "It is beautiful, thank you... I- I'm just a bit tired is all." I take a breath, stopping the treas. Arah! I turn my head, and Duchess sits down next to me. Her eyes are looking at me as though she is worried. "Hi, Duchess." I smile, allowing her to stand up licking the tears off my cheeks.

"Milady, it seems you have a visitor."

"Oh!" I turn my body, seeing a boy standing in the doorway.

"Good Evening, Milady." He smiles. I look him over, he is probably not even 12 years old yet and working inside the palace.

"What is that?" I ask, seeing a large box in his hands. I turn, getting up on my feet.

"It is for you, Milady." He smiles cheerfully. I smile a little, walking up to him. I pull the top off, seeing a beautiful red dress laying inside.

"Milady, this is pristine imperial silk! Only the Royal Family is allowed to wear this." I smile, taking the box from the boy.

"I want to see!" The girls jump around me, wanting to get a good look at the dress.

"Do you want help trying it on, Milady?!"

"I... It is from his highness, the prince." The boy's voice turns nervous.

"I'm sorry?" I turn towards the boy.

"It is a gift from the prince. His Highness would prefer you to look presentable when you join him for dinner this evening." He quickly bows, swiftly leaving the room.

"Dinner? I never agreed to... to-" My words cut off, remembering the war meeting. Everything he said, I just took it all in that this was the act he was playing. I thought he was just playing the role of a future husband who would have any interest in his future wife... I didn't think he was serious. I just thought the subject of dinner was a way to get me out of the meeting. "I... I need to get ready."

"Milady, you can't simply give the prince what he wants! It is not proper!" A maiden shuffles through my box of jewelry. I can't believe this, my chance to talk things out with Nicholas and these ladies has already made me so very very late!

"Please ladies, I must hurry!" I turn, trying to move towards the door but they move blocking my way.

"Nonsense! We're going to take as long as we need! The more he waits the more will yearn for you?"

"Yearn?" I turn towards the girl, trying to get out of my room. "Ladies, please... I am very late and I need to speak with the prince. This is quite enough." I take a step back, grabbing a small blue chest from my vanity. I turn to hurry towards the door. How can anyone make sense of something so ridiculous? Butterflies swarm my stomach as I hurry out into the hallway. I can't believe how late I am, this is so embarrassing... I don't even know if I am going to be able to eat right now... I wonder if he planned this all along..

I mean he did plan this beautiful dress, wanting to make everything so exquisite. I walk quickly, jogging forward a little. I hold the chest against my body, holding it in both of my hands. Have some tea blend inside from Adhara. I don't know if he will appreciate it at all but it was my mother's favorite tea blend... I don't think I have ever met someone who didn't like it when they first tried it.

I raise my head, a spectacular smell engulfs my nose. Smelling Roasted Swan and many other things. It smells incredible. I quicken my pace a little, hoping Nicholas hasn't left yet... Please don't be gone... I quickly turn the corner, the smell is even stronger now. I slow down, walking towards large red draped curtains in front of me. I gulp down a breath, walking slowly towards the small opening of the curtains. I hold my head high, seeing a large table full of food. Wow... He truly never fails to surprise me. Yet here I am, dressed in these magnificent garments, waiting to dine with a man who but a week ago seemingly refused to see me. Indeed, our first meeting did not go as smoothly as I had hoped for... But if he's willing to try this again... Then so am I. "GET OUT!!"