28

ITS LIGHT OUT AND AWAY WE GO

I pressed the pedal hard to the floor and I got a very good start compared to the others behind me. after the first turn Max was almost on me so I was already stressed and tried my best to defend. I knew that the only way I could win was to dare to drive my way and not think about the person behind me.

after 10 laps I had managed to create a gap between me and Max and I had found a perfect line I was following. the car felt perfect and did exactly as i hoped it would. I was good in the tight turns, which Max had had problems with in practice last Friday.

when I thought it couldn't possibly go wrong, I heard Lucas on the radio.

"red flag, come here"

"what has happened"

"Lando got pushed into the barrier and is blocking all the way between 6 and 7"

"is he ok"

"he moves in the car so yes"

I slowed down and drove into the pit. I was worried about George but I was angry that the distance I had built up between me and Max was disappearing and I was now afraid I would lose my place to him.

after many minutes later the race could finally be resumed. this time I had a worse start but still managed to keep first place after the first corner. I noticed that Max was frustrated because of his driving manner. every time he got close to me I defended the best I could and when there was a turn I tried to drive away from him as much as I could.

there were now two laps left and I had had a real fight with Max. he had come so close thanks to DRS so after every other corner I was leading and every other corner Max was leading. absolutely nothing would take away from my winnings. I had earned it today and if Max took it away from me I wouldn't take it back.

we made contact in turns 6 and 7, but even though it would affect both races, no one refused to give up. when it was the last corners, Max was leading and I felt the cry in my throat, but after the last corner I saw that he was not gaining speed, which allowed me to overtake him.

"congratulations belle, you deserve the win and you got ahead for today"

"WOHOOOO" I screamed into the radio.

the ceremony was good but i couldn't stop thinking about max and his bad attitude. but he was used to winning all the time so it wasn't so strange. when the national anthem started, I saw that Lando was standing below, looking at me like a proud big brother. i hadn't had time to talk to him before the ceremony but he was going to come to my house and get everything ready after he told our friends that i was having a housewarming party. now it would probably be a housewarming party and celebrate my first place.