46

As he unleashed Thundar shadow magic, I was momentarily taken back from this. Only Thundar were skilled in the art of shadows, and it was a skill reserved for the royal family alone.

The realization sent a chill down my spine, how could a Sythran able to use Thundar shadows? I was confused but yet intrigued to know how he is able to do this? Was this one of his illusions?

Before I could fully comprehend what had just occurred, he unleashed a torrent of fire magic, sending a searching blaze hurtling towards me. I tried to dodge it but unfortunately I was too slow, the flames caught me off guard, searching my flesh and sending waves of excruciating pain through my body.

"Ahhhh." I cried out in pain as I fell to the ground clutching my arm as the flame licked my skin. The illusion that had hidden my identity shattered, leaving me vulnerable and exposed to him.

As he advanced toward me, his eyes filled with anger and frustration intent on delivering the final blow. I could feel the weight of his hatred bearing down upon me.

But than something unexpected happened, as his gaze fell upon my face, recognition dawned in his eyes, he hesitated, his resolve faltering in the face of an unforeseen revelation.

"Be a man and take the mask off, so I can see the person who'll take my life. Do it!" I yelled with the little energy I had felt, but I wasn't fighting him anymore. He won, this was how I ended up, in a familiar land with this stranger who'll kill me.

"Show me your face." I demanded as I stayed there on the ground, waiting for the final blow. Will it make it painless? Will I finally be able to see my family gain?

With a shaky hand, he slowly reached up and removed his mask that concealed his true identity. "No." I felt my breath catch in my throat as I beheld the face of my older brother. Xander.

I couldn't believe my see, I had thought he was killed off in the attack to our tribe, I watched him die, and yet here he is, looking right back at me.

As realization washed over me, I was overcome with a tumult of conflicting emotions. Frustration, hurt, pain, anger, sorrow.

As I watched him, I saw something that mirrored my own pain and uncertainty. Beneath the mask of anger and hostility, there lurked a glimmer of doubt a flic of regret for his actions.

As he reached out to help me stand a wave of fear washed over me, paralyzing me with uncertainty and doubt. I couldn't bring myself to trust him, not after everything that had occurred between us.

What if all this was his doing? One of his manipulations? Him singing his powers to twist my memories and bend me to his will?

The thought sent me into a panic my heart began to race as I struggled to catch my breath. I could feel the walls closing in around me, suffocating me with their oppressive weight.

"No."

Every fiber in my body is screaming for escape, for release from the grip of own mind.

In my desperation, I lashed out instinctively, using my blood magic to hold him in place, unaware of the consequences of my actions, my hands still spasming uncontrollable.

As the magic surged through me, I felt a surge of power coursing through my veins, binding him in place and leaving him unable to move.

But even as I held him captive I was consumed by a sense of overwhelming dread, the weight of my own anxiety bearing down upon me. I could feel the darkness closing in around me threatening to consume me whole.

And than, a suddenness that left me reeling, the world went dark and I slipped into unconsciousness.