26

Killian

Alone in the quiet infirmary, Kel'enas left me, her expression a mix of uncertainty and introspection. I took a deep breath, pondering the unspoken questions that lingered in the air. Just as I was about to follow her, the door creaked open, and Lars entered, his expression intense and questioning.

"What did Kel'enas want from you?" Lars demanded, his eyes piercing through the room's silence.

I frowned, the frustration building within me at Lars's accusatory tone. "She needed a moment alone. We talked about what happened, and I was trying to comfort her."

Lars scoffed, his skepticism evident. "Comfort her? She hurt you, Killian. You should be furious."

I clenched my fists, anger simmering beneath the surface. "She didn't mean to, Lars. It was an accident. We're working through it."

Lars's gaze remained fixed on me, skepticism giving way to a touch of concern. "You're defending her?"

"I don't need you to understand, Lars. But Kel'enas has been through enough. She's facing her demons, and I won't let you add to them," I retorted, my voice firm with resolve.

He crossed his arms, still unconvinced. "You're letting your feelings cloud your judgment. You need to think about what's best for the Wolfkin."

I stood my ground, my frustration transforming into a more assertive tone. "What's best for the Wolfkin is to support our allies, not condemn them. Kel'enas is our ally, and I won't turn my back on her when she needs us the most."

Lars's gaze held mine, a tense silence lingering between us. I knew the road ahead wouldn't be easy, but defending Kel'enas and our connection was a choice I was willing to make, even if it meant challenging the loyalty of my own brother.

"You're betraying our tribe, Killian. You're putting your feelings above our people," he spat out, eyes narrowed in disapproval.

My temper flared, and I shot back, "Our tribe is more than just us, Lars. It's about alliances, about standing together. Kel'enas is an ally, and I won't turn my back on her."

Lars, unmoved, continued his assault. "She's not one of us. You're jeopardizing everything for someone who doesn't understand our ways."

The frustration bubbled inside me, and I retorted, "She's learning, Lars. We're building bridges, not burning them."

His response was cutting, "Have you even told her the whole truth, Killian? Or are you keeping secrets from her too?"

My steps faltered, the weight of Lars's words sinking in. "She doesn't need to know everything, at least not now."

Lars chuckled, a mix of dry amusement and disappointment. "You're playing a dangerous game, little brother. One day, she'll find out the truth, and then what?"

His words hung in the air, a haunting reminder of the potential consequences. I squared my shoulders, the resolve in my voice unwavering. "She'll find out when the time is right. I won't let my past ruin what we're trying to build."

Lars's eyes bore into mine, an unspoken tension lingering between us. The path ahead was uncertain, and the choices made in the name of alliances carried consequences that would echo through both tribes.