21

As I wandered through the secluded paths of Elara, my steps led me to the tranquil embrace of the lake. The soft murmurs of rippling water beckoned, and I found myself drawn to its calming presence. The air, once heavy with the weight of my own mistakes, seemed to lighten as I approached the water's edge.

Choosing a secluded spot near the shore, I lowered myself to the ground, feeling the coolness seep through the fabric of my Elara tribe attire. The vivid hues of the surrounding flora painted a serene backdrop, creating a haven of solace amidst the chaos of my thoughts.

With a heavy heart, I decided to cast away the confines of my shoes. The gentle touch of the breeze and the subtle caress of the grass beneath my feet connected me to the earth, grounding me in the raw reality of the moment. Pulling my legs close to my chest, I allowed the vulnerability that had been masked by pride to surface.

Tears, unbidden, traced down my cheeks, falling into the still water below. The sound of my quiet sobs mingled with the gentle lapping of the lake, creating a melancholic melody that echoed my internal turmoil. The air, carrying the scent of blooming flowers from the Elara gardens, offered a fragile comfort.

The water, reflective and serene, mirrored the emotions etched on my face. Each tear seemed to ripple across the lake's surface, a poignant testament to the echoes of a soul grappling with its own vulnerabilities.

In the solitude of that moment, the lake became a silent confidant, bearing witness to the raw emotions that spilled from my heart. The rhythmic ebb and flow of the water provided a soothing backdrop, cradling my pain in a symphony of nature's timeless compassion.

As my tears continued to fall, each drop felt like a searing reminder of the pain etched within. The heaviness in my chest became unbearable, and in a desperate attempt to channel my emotions, I extended my hand towards the tranquil lake water.

Summoning my water powers, I began to manipulate the liquid, creating intricate patterns that danced along the surface. Yet, as I gazed at my hands, a wave of guilt washed over me. These same hands, capable of harnessing the elements, had inadvertently caused anguish to those around me.

Memories of the past haunted me, each vivid recollection a dagger piercing my soul. The day my mother fell victim to Admiral Arnoux's tyranny, my little brother's valiant but futile attempt to protect our older sister – these images replayed like a relentless torment.

Unable to bear the weight of my own actions, I bowed my head, my hand trembling as I tried to contain the tempest within. It was then that I felt a presence, a subtle energy enveloping me. An unfamiliar voice, gentle yet firm, urged me not to wallow in solitude.

Fighting through my anguish, I turned around to confront the unexpected visitor. To my astonishment, my mother's ethereal figure stood before me, a spectral manifestation bathed in a soft, comforting light. The realization struck me – the speaking-to-the-dead bond, a power believed to be lost with my mother's demise, seemed to have returned in my darkest hour.

Through tear-stained eyes, I whispered the question that lingered in my heart: "How? How are you here, reaching out to me across the realms?" The response, carried on the whisper of a spectral breeze, held the weight of the unspoken connection that transcended both life and death.

"I've always been here with you. With all my children... I'm might be gone but I never left you, my sweet child."

My mother's spectral presence remained unwavering, a comforting beacon in the shadows of my despair. She spoke with a tenderness that transcended the boundaries of life and death, assuring me that though unseen, she was always near, a guardian watching over her children.

As she knelt beside me, her hand reached out to wipe away the tears that stained my cheeks. However, the intimacy of the gesture clashed with the walls I had built, and instinctively, I pulled away. My mind struggled to accept the ethereal reality before me.

"This is just an illusion," I muttered, my voice a blend of exhaustion and defiance. "Someone is toying with my mind, playing sick tricks. Just as earlier, and I'm tired of it. Enough alright, I've had enough.....whoever is doing this, I beg of you to please stop!"

My mother's response, firm and filled with unwavering certainty, cut through my skepticism. "This is no illusion, my sweet baby girl. I heard your call, and that's why I'm here."

Anger and frustration bubbled within me as I questioned her absence during the darkest chapters of my life. "Where were you when I was thrust into a role I never wanted at the age of eleven? Where were you when I killed without remorse, when I almost took someone I care about?" The unspoken truth hung heavy in the air – not just caring as a friend, but as someone woven into the fabric of my existence.

My voice faltered, betraying the emotions I attempted to suppress. Sensing the hesitation, my mother offered reassurance. "It's okay to care, my love. Embrace the connections that bring solace to your tormented soul."

As I grappled with conflicting emotions, her presence served as a poignant reminder that, even in the realms beyond, the bonds of love and understanding persisted.

As her spectral fingers brushed against my shoulder, a connection formed, one that bridged the gap between realms. Her voice became a gentle murmur, encouraging me to embrace the emotions that blossomed within. "Developing feelings for Killian is a part of your journey, not a flaw. Let these connections be your strength, not your burden."

"I almost killed him, I cannot let that happen again. The way all of them looked at me, as if I am a monster, I can't let him get hurt again."

"It was not your fault my sweet baby." The revelation that my powers' erratic display was the work of another – a power girl from the Elara tribe – brought a surge of understanding. In the midst of turmoil, my mother's wisdom became a guiding light, dispelling the shadows of guilt that threatened to consume me.

Seeking solace in her guidance, I ran towards her, my arms encircling her spectral form. "I'm sorry," I whispered, tears streaming down my face. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen. To disappoint you, or our tribe. I'm so sorry."

My mother embraced me in return, a tender kiss pressed to my forehead. "I know," she murmured. "The path you walk isn't meant to be tread alone. It's okay to have those you care for beside you."

Her words lingered, a cryptic message imbued with both mystery and comfort. As quickly as she had materialized, she vanished, leaving behind a sense of solace and a newfound understanding of the intricate web of connections that defined my journey.

As my mother's spectral form dissipated, leaving me once again in solitude, I opened my eyes to find myself still seated by the lake. A whispered "mom" escaped my lips, but there was no response. She was gone, back to the realm beyond, leaving me to contemplate the ethereal journey I had just undertaken.

I gazed down at my hands, realizing the profound truth – I had traversed the delicate boundary separating the world of the living from the realm of the departed. The knowledge settled within me, a secret connection to the beyond etched into the fabric of my being.

Turning my head back towards the tranquil lake, I hugged myself, grappling with the magnitude of the experience. The whispers of the wind, the soothing lap of water against the shore, and the distant calls of birds all felt like echoes of a world unseen.

In that moment of solitude, surrounded by the remnants of my tears and the gentle embrace of nature, I pondered the intricate dance between life and death, the tangible and the ethereal. The lake, a silent witness to my inner turmoil, reflected the moon's gentle glow, creating a tableau of quiet reflection as I sought to understand the newfound connection that bridged two worlds.