chapter sixty eight

"I fucking lost it as soon as I lost you."

𓆩♡𓆪 𓆩⟡𓆪 Chapter 68  𓆩♤𓆪 𓆩♧𓆪

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

"Where did you get it?"

Aina's mind snapped. As well as all her other senses. She didn't expect him to ask about it, to even have a little memory of it all. She was taken aback. Too taken aback to respond promptly. That's why she just silently stared into his face, whose expression asked questions that his mouth could not and did not want to say.

"Are you listening to me?" he asked again, removing his hand from hers. He leaned against the back of the upholstered chair and gently spread his legs as he folded his hands in his lap, "It's mine, isn't it?"

He was asking too many questions at once. However, the latter snapped her out of her reverie, and she knew right then that she should finally give him the answer to his questions. To each one.

"Y-Yeah, it is."

"I don't remember giving it to you."

"I guess you don't think I stole it." She giggled nervously, leaning back in the chair just as he had done a moment ago.

"Aina," he carefully leaned closer again, placing his hands on the tabletop, giving her a piercing look that went somewhere deep through her eyes, "you know what I'm getting at."

"No," she breathed, "I really don't know."

Her heart was pounding as if deprived of her senses. On the one hand, she wanted to talk about everything she needed to get out of herself, but at the same time, she didn't want to bring new questions into the conversation that could affect their relationship. Because she knew these things, when she spoke either of their letters to each other or of a Borderland in general, it irritated him. But she never really thought too much about why it was this way?

"Of course you do." He said in one breath, "You know too well. When will you realize you don't know how to lie?" His eyes drifted down to her gently shaking palms.

Trying to hide her nervousness, she swallowed hard and took a deep breath while intertwining her fingers. She hated he exposed her every time. No matter how hard she tried to outsmart him, it never worked. Not now and never before.

"I-" his gaze settled on his hands on the table, "I felt something. Better said, I -"

"-saw something?" she interrupted urgently.

"Um," he pointed out, looking at her, "yeah, h-how did you know that?"

"Ann mentioned something similar."

"Who the fuck is Ann?"

Chishiya frowned and crossed his arms over his chest, lips parted, waiting for an answer. He was startled enough by what he had felt and seen in the flashes of his mind a moment ago to cause various thoughts to stir in his mind leading to strange conclusions.

"Sh-she's also one of the survivors." She answered hesitantly.

How will she explain it all to him?

She hoped he wouldn't ask any deeper questions. However, if she knew where their joint conversation would lead, she would very well reconsider whether to put the rubber band around her wrist or not.

"Does she also remember some," he said, then raised his hands in the air indicating quotation marks, "another world?"

"Are you making fun of me?" her voice was a little deeper this time, letting him know that she wasn't going to make a fool of herself.