chapter sixty four

Chapter 64

"I loved you, even when it hurt."

(please, if you don't remember what happened in the last flashback, read it again (chapter 62))

*flashback*

The touch of his left hand in her hair, gently caressing her scalp, soothed her more and more. She closed her eyes in ease and rested her head on the spot under his chin. She took a deep breath of his scent. It was his natural scent that conquered her more and more. 

She rubbed her eyes with a hand to wipe away her tears and slowly pulled away from his chest, forcing him to let her out of his embrace, even though he was very reluctant to do so. 

He stared into her dark eyes, leaving her embarrassed. Looking at his face made her knees a little weak again, so she turned her eyes back to the ground, to her black sneakers, and took a deep breath. 

"It will be a surprise for them to see me alive after this round. However, I don't understand why they wanted to solve it in such a complicated way, they could easily have lied to me and deceive, just like the others." 

"No, they couldn't." Chishiya smirked, crossing his arms over his chest as Aina furrowed her brows with a question in her eyes. 

"They didn't trust me. And neither to Ippei. They knew that we were still in touch, they were sure we would not deceive each other. That's why they had to split us up first." 

"Do you think Jack is one of them?" Aina questioned, to which Chishiya tilted his head slightly to the left and added, "Jack wouldn't do this. They wouldn't be so stupid, they would know how to deal with it differently. They would find a much better way to do it. Besides, I already suspect someone else." 

"Who?" Aina asked quietly but still with great curiosity. 

She wanted to know who Chishiya had set his eyes and thoughts on as he searched for a traitor among the other players. But she just watched as he took a deep breath and slowly walked over to one of the large metal shelves next to Aina.

"I won't tell you that now. I still have to wait, I have to be sure enough of what I think." He spoke while Aina watched as he fumbled with his hand in the shelf, searching it intensely for something. 

She furrowed her brows and smirked when she saw him let out a happy breath as he suddenly finally caught the yellow bag of cookies. In between, as he returned back to her, he opened the given little bag. 

That's when they heard someone coming down the stairs from above. They both fell silent and even Chishiya stopped rustling with the bag of cookies. They set their eyes upwards and saw a young man with dark bangs across his forehead walking confidently down the stairs. 

Inconspicuously and quietly, he walked past the couple standing next to the grocery shelf, where he stopped at one of its little shelves. He was leisurely choosing between four types of cookies, divided by color. 

Aina didn't pay much attention to him, but she managed to notice Chishiya looking at him subtly. He followed him with his eyes. Staring and thinking, he even managed to pull out one of the vanilla cookies from the bag, which he shoved into his mouth.  Aina was distracted by the sound of him crunching a cookie after cookie. He was unnerving her as she tried to pick up on something suspicious about the young man, who had managed to pick out his snack in the meantime and slowly walked past them, heading back up the stairs. She didn't realize it as her gaze rested on the back of the departing youth until Chishiya's voice snapped her out of her reverie.