chapter eleven

I finally got myself together. I looked at Shelby and she wiped the tears on my cheeks away. “Thanks. This is why you’re my best friend.” I told her and hugged her one last time. “Lexi, you’re my best friend too!” she said. “Is my make up smeared?” I asked her. She just laughed and said, “Just a little.” I looked in the mirror and my eyes went wide. “Holy cow!” I said. My mascara was smeared all over my face. I got a wash cloth and started wiping it off. “I’ll be outside. Come out when you’ve that all fixed up.” She said referring to my mascara. I laughed and wiped it off. I walked out of the bathroom to my room and saw everyone out there. They all looked up immediately. I felt like this was an intervention and they were going to start talking about my crack addiction. Austin stood up and engulfed me in a hug, and then Alex and Robert decided to join in. Shelby slowly came over and started to hug too. We stood there for a minute. “Okay, I’m good guys!” I said. Everyone started to let go but Austin didn’t. I looked at his face and it was full of worry. This is what you get for being friends with someone for so long; you can tell what they’re feeling. I just let him hug me. It’s not like I’m going to complain or anything. “We’ll leave you guys alone.” Alex said in a whisper. Robert, Shelby and he all went out of the room. When they got out, Austin let go. “Are you okay?” he asked. “I’m fine. I did everything I needed to do in the bathroom.” I said laughing. He smiled a bit when I laughed. “Good. I don’t even know what I saw in her.” He said. “What did you see in her?” I asked. He started to laugh. We went down stairs and sat with everyone else. “So Shelby. Do you think Matt’s free this summer?” I asked her. Her face lit up. “Why?” she said excited. “Oh I don’t know.” I said nonchalantly. “Why Alexis?” she said getting more excited. I shrugged my shoulders. She jumped on me and said, “Alexis please tell me why!” I just laughed and said, “Well you don’t have a roommate, so I thought you could invite him to come stay with you.” She started jumping on the couch. Everyone was laughing at her reaction. “Just please. I am right next to your room, don’t be loud.” I said and she started to laugh. “Don’t worry! We’ll do it when you guys aren’t here.” She said going up the stairs. “TOO MUCH INFORMATION YOUNG LADY!” I yelled at her. I just shook my head. “Now you are pretty much the only girl now. She’s going to be all up in Matt’s butt.” Alex said. “Oh. Forgot about that.” I said. “Maybe Sarah could come out for the weekend or something.” I said. Alex kind of smiled. “I’ll text her.” He said getting up now. “I’ll be in my room, on my phone.” Robert said while getting up. Once it was just Austin and I he said, “You do know how to get rid of people don’t you?” I just shrugged my shoulders and said, “What can I say, it’s a talent.”