chapter nine

We all got our swimsuits on. “We saw 2 canoes in the garage. The thing is we need to get them down.” Alex said to me as we walked to the garage. I looked and saw the canoes hanging on the wall. “How are we going to get them down?” I asked him. “In have no clue.” He said laughing. We all spent an hour trying to get them down. Finally we got them down but there was no way we’d be able to put them back up. Each team grabbed their canoe and put them into the water. We put on life jackets because we’d be in a lot deeper water then the beach and just to be safe. Our canoe had me in front, Shelby in the middle, and Alex in the back. On the other canoe, Austin was in the front, Madison in the middle, and Robert in the back. We had to canoe out a little. We stopped in an open area. “Everyone ready?” I asked. Everyone nodded or said yes. Alex counted down and we started to push the other canoe. We had to only use our hands because we didn’t want to hit someone with an oar. Do you know how hard it is to lean and try to push someone else without falling off yourself? It’s hard. It took us 20 minutes and we were all tired. Austin whispered something to Robert and he nodded his head. Then all of a sudden they flipped their own canoe! Madi’s face was priceless when she fell. I just started laughing my butt off and so were Robert and Austin when they surfaced. Madi, not so much. “Guys! What the hell, you could’ve told me what you were going to do!” she yelled at Robert and Austin. “Sorry we wanted to surprise you.” Robert said to her. “Whatever. You guys are jerks.” She said. “Madi, just calm down. This was supposed to be fun!” I said. “Oh shut up Alexis.” Madi said swimming back to shore. After she was a good distance away from us, we all started laughing again. Austin and Robert got their canoe upright and got in. “That was pretty funny but when we get back you guys should go and apologize to her.” I told them. “Okay. I don’t get why she got mad.” Austin said. “We don’t get a lot of things she does.” I said. When we got back to the house, I saw a car that I recognized in the driveway. I looked at Shelby and we ran inside. There she was, the devil herself. Darcy. “I just don’t- Oh hello.” She said with the fakest smile. I just looked at her and went up to my room. I have a lot of problems with her. I just don’t like her. She used like Austin, a lot. They had a thing freshmen year but that stopped after Austin started to get famous. After he left she would say that they had done some stuff, which I know weren’t true. All of us except Madison didn’t like her after that. I wanted to know why she is here because she is definitely not staying. After a while, Austin came in and sat on his bed. “So. Darcy’s here…” he said, looking down. “Yea she is here.” I said looking at him. “Please don’t have her stay. Madison is probably going to ask you if she can but please say no.” he said completely serious. “Trust me. I won’t say yes. Madison would be the only one that actually likes her.” I said and with that Madison and Darcy came in. “So you and Austin share a room?  Wonder what goes on in here at night.” She said. “Sleeping. That’s what goes on.” I said getting off my bed. “Lexi can Darcy please come and stay with us?” she asked. I already knew what my answer was. “No.” I said. She looked at me shocked. “Why not?” she asked a little mad. “Because this was supposed to be fun and she would just cause stuff.” I said starting to walk out. That’s when Darcy grabbed my wrists and turned me to face her. “You sure that’s the right answer?” she asked in a threatening way. “Let go of my arm.” I said calmly. “And yes that’s the right answer. Now get out.” I said. “Well if she can’t stay then I’m not going to.” Madi said. If Madi wanted to throw away an awesome summer for Darcy, then whatever.