First kiss

Shaan took a deep breath. It was late but he did not care. He held his mom's hand and said, "Amma enakku ippove avala poi paakanam. Night fulla drive pannardhu onnum enakku pudhusu illiye. Indha 5 years la ethanayo night thookam varaama suthirken but inniki naan romba happy ya irukken and adhukku karanam avathaan so naan udane poi avala paakanum. Poitu varattuma amma?" Meenakshi had happy tears. She had yearned to see her baby happy. He had been roaming around like a lost soul. He had finally found his destiny. She quickly wiped her tears and smiled and him, "Hmmm... Jaagardhaya poitu vaa." He smiled and quickly kissed her forehead. While he went in to freshen up and pack a backpack, she quickly went to the kitchen to fill him a flask of hot coffee and some snacks. She also gave him another box of home made Rava ladoos and said, "Avanga veetukku first time pore. Sweet oda po." He smile and hugged her once again before heading off to Chennai.

The sever hours drive seemed like the longest drive of his life. He reached chennai by 5 am but parked his car near the beach,went to the back seat and took a nap. He woke up at 7 am. He knew Anu's family will be up so he drove towards her house which was only 15 mins away.

AK had finished his work out and was in the kitchen making his drink. Shivu was up too and the couple were in the balcony planning breakfast when they heard the door bell. Ananya who had just stepped out of the bathroom, frowned at the sound of the doorbell. Who was there that early, she wondered. Ak and Shivu looked surprised too but when the bell rang again, AK walked up to the door. "Hello sir, I am Shantanu, Ananya's friend. Sorry for bothering you so early in the morning but I have to see her right away. This is urgent" he said. Shantanu handed over the Laddoo box. AK quickly scrutinized the boy but something told him that it was safe to let him in. Ananya rushed down when she heard the familiar voice saying, " Shaan inge enna pannare? All ok?" Then she glanced at her parents who looked totally confused, and said, "Appa Amma this is Shaan. Unga kitta soleerkene" but Shaan quickly held her hands and said, "Anu unakku eppidi thank pannardhu nu therila. I got a call from NY. I am in. I got the full scholarship and it is only because of you." Ananya's face lit up and she squealed and jumped in delight. She hugged him screaming, "Wow, that's fantastic news. Congrats Shaan. You totally deserve it." Then she glanced at her parents again. She smiled and walked Shaan towards her parents.

"Appa Amma naan unga kitta kaamichene andha "Heaven on Earth" andha scholarship kedachirukku Shaan ku." Now it was Shaan's turn to be surprised, "Avangalukku theriyuma?" Ananya giggled, "Enga Appa Amma enakku friends madiri. I share everything with them." Shantanu smiled and said, "Enakku Appa nu oru relationship e theriyadhu and I am always protective about my mother so adhu thaan enakku idhu Purila but since you share everything with them, I want to tell you something in front of them. Anu, nee anniki ketta theriyuma ennala eppidi romba pudicha oru vishayatha appidiye thooki poda mudiyudhu nu? Camera va sollala maa naan Unna pathi sollaren. Enakku Unna madiri oru Appa illai maa. Irundhirundha solli kuduthirupaaru that all I had to do was talk to you. Oru conversation la mudikka vendiyadha 5 years theva illama unnayum kashta paduthi naanum kashta pattu but that's all over. 5 years pattadhu ellam podhum maa. Innime oru nimisham kooda time waste panna mudiyadhu. I know that I cannot imagine a life without you. Ippiyavudhu ennoda love Puriyudha unakku? Innum time venumna naan wait pannaren but edhuva irundhaalum paathukalaam."

Ananya looked at her parents, who were thoroughly enjoying this love story happening in their living room. Ananya cleared her voice and said, "Appa Amma can I have a moment with Shaan?" Pat came Shivu's response, "Enga kannu munnadi ivvalo nadandhaachu unnoda answer ayum kettukarome. Pada climax la TV off pannara maadiri irukku dee." Ananya glared at Shivu while AK chuckled but wrapped his arm around his wife and said, "Vaa maa beach varaikkum poitu varalaam. Morning thaan aana unakku ice cream vaangi tharen vaa." Shivu was thrilled at the sound of icecream so she quickly walked towards the door. AK winked and his daughter and walked out with his wife.

Ananya held Shaan's hand and said, "Shaan, first of all, I am so sorry for having hurt your feelings. Naan ennamo solla vandhu ennamo solli.... I was so immature to even understand your love but now I know. I know that love isn't about how it looks like in movies. There are no violin playing in the background and no lights going on inside your head. It is a place where you feel comfortable, where you don't have to pretend, where you can be you, where someone feels like your home. I have come to realized that you are my home Shaan. The thing is, once we realize that, we can comfortably go about focusing on other things in our life. You can go to NY knowing I am here to check on your mom. I am here building my career for us. Even when we are away from each other, we have each other." Shaan cupped her face saying, "Anu I love you so much. Just stay a same crazy you. Don't let anything change you, ok?" They looked into each others eyes and Anu said, "Your mom is right. You have the most romantic eyes Shaan. Now, before my parents return are you going to kiss me or what?"

Shaan gently pulled her closed to him and their lips met for their first kiss. His kiss was soft and gentle. It lasted a few moments and just when he was about to let go, Ananya pulled him again for one more which lasted longer with more intensity. Finally their lips parted but their foreheads still touched and their eyes were closed, relishing the moment.

10 days later Ananya, her parents and Meenakshi were at the airport sending him off. Shivu insisted that Meenakshi spend a few days with them which she surprisingly agreed. Soon they became frequent visitors to each others house. Meenakshi, who had lost her entire family for years, had found one finally.

Brinda Subramanian