Dancing challenge

AK and  Shivu's challenges with Ananya was just beginning. After a lot of therapy sessions, Ananya has finally started to speak. AK, Shivu and their close circles were very patient and helpful during this process. Shivu was not able to focus on her playback and concerts anymore but she decided to start a school of performing arts for children. She collaborated with some of her theatre friends to do this so she wasn't fully in charge. It was her venture, her school, so she decided to name it in memory of their son, Surya school of performing arts. He definitely was the guardian angel because the entire process moved very smoothly without hiccups.

Ananya often accompanied her mother to the classes and observed the other children her age, singing and dancing beautifully. One day she decided to join the class but was heartbroken when the other kids laughed at her. Since Ananya heard differently, the beats were different for her so she was moving a few moments later than the other kids. One little girl, Sanvi, who thought she was the best dancer, pushed Ananya during break and teased saying, "Naan thaan nalla dance aadaren. Nee teacher oda ponnu aanalum unakku paatum varaley dance un varale. Semma waste." Few other girls giggled around Sanvi. Ananya was hurt and she decided to go sit down.

By the time they left, Ananya slept in the car and Shivu assumed Ananya looked upset only because she was tired. Later that day, AK noticed that Ananya was sitting quietly in her room with a picture book so he went and picked her up saying, "Video game aadalaama?" She was very good with video games since it was more to do with observation and vision. She would always jump at the idea but today she nodded a no. AK was concerned so he sat her down right there and asked, "Ennoda baby ku Ennachu? Video game kooda vendaam nu sollara alavukku?" Ananya covered her face in his chest, wrapped her hands around his neck and started crying. AK's heart broke to see his daughter like that. He wrapped his arm around her, holding her tightly, and gave her a few minutes to cry, "seri seri onnum illai onnum illai da. Appa kitta solla maatiya?" She sniffled and slowly placed her tiny fingers on his lips which he promptly kissed. That was her prompt to let him know that she needed his love. He hugged her again and kissed her forhead. She wiped her tears on his shirt. He kissed her cheeks and said, "Ippo sollu maa?" She said, "Appa enakku dance romba pudichirukku aana aana enakku aada varale nu Sanvi tease pannina. Enakku edhuvume varaadha Appa?"

Just then Shivu walked into the room and heard the conversation. Her heart just froze. She could not believe that her little baby was heart broken and the world was such a cruel place. She immediately jumped in saying, "Yaaru sonna unnala aada mudiyadhu nu. Nee kandippa aaduve. Nee mattum illai Unna madiri naraya kozhandhaingalukku naan solli tharen." Then she walked up to them and sat next to her husband. She kissed her daughters hand and said, "Thangam people like Sanvi only make you stronger. Unakku first standard la nadandhadhu nyabagam irukka? Remember unnoda cochlear implant e oru kozhandai tease pannina podhu Appa unakku onnu solli kuduthare?" Ananya smiled at the incident and said, "Ama, show and tell panninen. Whole class ku ennoda implant a pathi kathu kuduthen and enna madiri naraya kozhandainga irukaanga nu sonnen. Adhuku aparam Yaarume enna tease pannaley" she smiled.

AK and Shivu glanced at each other and Shivu continued smiling, "Adhey madiri thaan Rajathi idhuvum. Just because Sanvi said something, it does not necessarily mean it is true right? I will have a special class for kids like you. You will feel the music instead of hearing the music. You will dance to what you feel, ok?"

Ananya's face beamed. She jumped from her dad's lap to her mom's in happiness. AK showed a thumps up to Shivu and hugged his wife and daughter together. He gave a quick peck on  Shivu's forehead while she kissed her daughter.

In no time, Ananya began to dance and she was a natural.

Brinda Subramanian