Destiny Day

Shivu was not a morning person and everyone knew that. Even waking up early on Diwali was a punishment for her but AK was just the opposite. In fact, he had a proper routine that he followed everyday. After waving goodbye to Ananya, Shivu decided to go back to sleep. She rested her head on his chest while walking back from the balcony mumbling, "Ayyo enakku innum thookam pogala. Naan poi thoongaren. Enakku bed varaikkum nadakka kooda bore adikkardhu." As soon as she said that, AK smiled and quickly picked her up. She smiled wrapping her arms around his neck. He gently placed her on the bed and tucked her in with the blanket. She smiled, with her eyes still closed, and pouted pulling his neck closer for his cheek. He let her kiss him and, when she let go off him, he placed a peck on her forehead and whispered, "Nee thoongu, naan ennoda run mudichuttu varen." She nodded only to turn around and go to sleep.

She was woken up by the sound of her phone on the nightstand. She whined a little but reached for her phone. Since Ananya was born both of them never fail to check a message or call that the receive on their personal phone. They both had two separate phones, one for personal use and another on for work. Shivu smiled, "coffee  date in 15?" She smiled and replied with a kissing emoji. She stretched and looked out of the window. The sun was shining brightly. It was 8:30am. She quickly went to the rest room and freshened up. She fixed the unbuttoned night gown and pulled up her hair into a bun. She scrutinized her face and smiled at her reflection. She went down looking for him. Her kitchen smelt heavenly. He was baking her favourite croissant. She winked at the man in apron and quickly went up to him and dramatically saying, "Just looking like a wow. Eppidi kaalangaarthala ivvalo sexy ya irukeenga?" Then she said the most famous line to him, "Yov AK, vayasannalum un azhagum un baking um maarave illai." Her cheesy lines always made him laugh and also blush. He nodded saying, "Unnala mattum thaan indha madiri lines yosikka mudiyum." She wrapped her arms around him. He started walking towards the dining table with her holding on to him. "Unnaku pasikkidhu nu nalla theriyudhu" he said, hearing her stomach growl. She sat and looked at the gorgeous freshly baked croissant with a bowl of freshly cut fruits and right next to it was a cup of hot cocoa. He had managed to draw a heart with cream on the top which made her say, "Awww.... I love they way our destiny day is starting." After having a quick breakfast together. He decided to go and have a shower. She nodded but as soon as he stepped into the shower, she crept inside the room and placed a gift bag on the bed and sat on the bed looking through her phone. In a little while AK stepped out of the shower in just a towel. His hair was wet and he shook it to splash water on her. She looked away saying, "Ayoo indha habit mattum maarave maaradhu. By the way, Neenga pannara work out niruthave niruthaadheenga ok? Kannuku kulirchiya irukku" she said drawing a like across his chest and down his stomach. He grabbed her close to him for which she giggled but brought the gift bag between them saying, "Happy 25th destiny day." His eyes widened and he smiled but placed the bag aside and pulled her closer to kiss her on her lips. One thing with AK and Shivu was that, unlike other couples, they had never let the romance in their life dilute. They always celebrated their special days because they wanted to, not because they had to. They knew what they had gone through so they always appreciated each other genuinely.

Once their lips parted, AK said, "Neeyum poi kulichittu vaa. Our usual visit polaam." She smiled and nodded and quickly grabbed the towel from his waist to take it to the bathroom. He stood there shocked. He was, thankfully wearing his briefs. She winked and he gave her a fake glare and nodded. He then opened the gift box and smiled at what he saw. It was a lovely cotton kurtha. It was a dark purple one with tiny yellow prints. Along with that was a crisp white veshti. He loved it. He opened up the veshti first and wrapped it tightly he grabbed a belt to fasten over it. Then he sprayed the deodorant on his upper body before wearing the kurtha. It was a perfect fit and looked really good on him. He fixed his hair and smirked at his reflection. He then stepped out of the room after leaving a couple of gift boxes for her.

He came back into the room to find his wife in a petticoat and the new purple blouse. She giggled at him saying, "Semma wavelength la?" He smiled back at her. His gift to her was a beautiful yellow Mysore silk saree with purple border. He had got the falls and blouse stitched. He quickly walked up to her to tie the string on the blouse. She said, "Endha alavu blouse kudutheenga? Perfect aa irukku. Neck and pinnadi mattum konjam low aa irukku but I love the design and the stitching." He kissed the nape of her neck after tying the string saying, "Idhu thaan sexy ya irukku. Enakku theriyadha enna alavellam." She blushed but glared at him saying, "Vara vara unga words ellam romba bad aa irukku. Naughty boy" she smacked. He frowned saying, "Naan en pondaati kooda flirt pannina unakku yen eriyudhu?" She giggled saying, "Pannunga pannunga. Jolly ya thaan irukku." He helped her with her pleats, then he stepped out of the room only to return with another gift box.

Shivu was sitting near the dressing table. She had left her hair open, just like he liked it. She had a round purple bindi on her forehead, kajal in her eyes only making her, already, gorgeous eyes, light up. She was finishing up with lipgloss and a nude color lipstick. She had a pair of big jhimkis which added to the elegance. He slowly walked behind her and opened the box that he was holding. He placed a beautiful gold necklace around her neck and said, "Thank you for being the light in our life." He knelt down and turned the stool around for her to face him. He then looked into her eyes and said, "It has been 25 years since we first met but I cannot remember a day without you. Your unconditional love, your sacrifices with a smile, your determination to always see a ray of hope even during dark days is what keeps me going. I love you so much maa."

Shivu was overwhelmed. She placed her forehead on his and said, "Ungala madiri enakku pesa theriyadhu but kadavul oda best setting Neenga thaan. You are my love and light always." They held on to each other, being grateful to God. Then he said, "Vaa kovil ku poitu varalaam. We have a lot to be thankful for."

As they walked hand in hand towards their car, both their phones beeped at the same time. The message read, "Happy 25th Destiny day chellakutties. Naan venumnu thaan Cuddalore plan inniki potten. Samatha illama naughty ya irunga. Ensoi thangamani" followed by a wink emoji. They laughed with Shivu saying, "Amma Appa kitta pesara madiriya pesardhu rowdy? Seriyana KD kutty" and they laughed as they drove to the temple.

Brinda Subramanian