Promise

Shivathmika had recovered from his illness but her parents insisted that she take it slow. They had an important meeting to attend to that afternoon so, after lunch they decided to step out for a couple of hours. The house help, Ranjitham akka, was finishing her work and agreed to stay back a little longer as Shivu's parents did not want her to stay along. Shivu tried arguing, "Amma enakku almost 22 vayasu ayiduthu. Veetu kulla thaane irukka poren. Enna endha poochandiyum vandhu thookittu pogadhu. I can very well manage on my own, Appa. Atleast, neegalavudhu Amma va puriya vainga. I don't need a baby sitter pa, please" but her parents were not willing to listen to any excuses. They did not want her to stay alone and that was that. Shivu frowned as they left the house.

She had decided to binge watch the newly released season of her favourite korean show. She grabbed a bowl of grapes from the kitchen, then she grabbed a blanket and settled on the sofa. She then turned on the volume and started watching her show. A few minutes into the show, Ranjitham akka came up to her looking a little perturbed. She hurriedly said, "Paapa, Paapa." Shivu quickly paused the show to look at Ranjitham. She continued to speak, while drying her wet hands on her saree pallu, "yen ponnu Sharmi phone pannichu. Tuition lerndhu ootukku vara solla keela vilundhu adi patiruchaam. Orey azhuga. Paapa, naan oru ettu poi inna nu pathuttu vandhurava? Ootla yaarum illai. Aaspithiri ku ittandu povanom. Orey kaal vandhu veegikichaam. Naan pova paapa? Nee kadhavu saathittu padam paaru naan odi poi odi vanduren. " Shivu was more than happy. She could have the entire house to herself. Not that she was going to do anything but it just gave her a sense of freedom. She promptly nodded her head saying, "Ayayo Akka Neenga modhalla poi enna nu paarunga ka. Hospital kootitu poitu vaanga. Onnum avasaram illai. Naan eppidiyum show thaan paaka poren. Kaasu edhavudhu venuma ka?" Ranjitham refused the money and thanked her for letting her go. Shivu followed her to the door and locked it behind her. She pulled the curtains making the room a little dark. Then she hurried back to the couch and settled down to continue watching her show. Very soon she was thoroughly engrossed in it, so much so that she did not even hear the door bell the first time.

When the door bell rang again, she frowned and paused the TV again saying, "Pch.. yaaru da adhu? Amma Appa Adhukulla vandhutaangala enna? Seriyana scene la poi yaaru idhu disturbance." She heard it the third time and she yelled, "Varen varen wait pannunga." Then she walked up to the door and looked through the peep hole. She saw a bunch of flowers. She scratched her hair in confusion, "Yaaru idhu flower delivery madiri theriyudhu?" She slowly opened the door and gasped in surprise when she heard the familiar voice saying, "Hi" in her sing song way and the charming face appeared from behind those flowers. It was AK. She could not believe it. She just stared at him wide eyed. He smiled at her and snapped his finger in front of her face, "Hello madam, Adhukulla enna marandhuteengala? Aparam yen appidi paakareenga?" Then he handed her the beautiful bunch of red roses and said, "These are for you, here you go. Ulla varalaama?" She quickly grabbed the flowers from him and opened the door wide to invite him in. He stepped in saying, "un udambu ippo eppidi maa irukku? Seri ayiduchu nu orey adiya over work pannadhe ok? Udamba paathuko. Ozhunga saapdu. Work out pannu. Immunity build pannanum. Thaniya va irukkey? Eppidi unga Appa amma Unna thaniya vittanga?" She was still in shock but in a quiet voice said, "Illai Ranjitham akka va paathuka solli thaan ponaanga but avangalukku veetla oru emergency so..... seri Neenga inga enna pannareenga suddenly... ippidi.... Enakku onnume Purila."

He smiled at her. He grabbed the flowers from her hand and placed them on the dining table. Then he walked back up to her, held her hand and sat on the couch next to her. He looked down and sighed and then looked up into her eyes and said, "Ennala mudila ma. Nee illama ovvoru nimishamum yaaro ayiram kathiya en nenjula keerara maadiri irundhuchu. Idhukku mela oru nimisham kooda Unna paakama, un kaiya pidikaama, un mudiya ippidi odhikki vidaama ennala iruka mudiyadhu. Unnoda kural kekkama, Unna tease pannama un kitta adi vaangama ennala iruka mudiyadhu maa. Unna meet pannardhukku munadi irundhadhu vera but now that I have met you there is no looking back. I know that we went through a huge roller coaster. Andha situation la namma easy ya vera vera direction la poirukalaam but look I am sitting here, next to you, holding your hands,  pushing away that tiny string of hair that is irritating you and I don't want to be anywhere else. Naan sollardhu unakku puriyardha?" Shivu did not answer. She just kept staring right into his eyes yearning to hear more. He quickly kissed her hand and then cupped her face and said, "Indha past few months la nadandhadha oru ketta kanava nenachu marandhudalaam maa. Thirumba fresh a start pannalaam. I love you maa. I love you so so much. Indha miss aana time ku ellam sethu vachu Unna love pannanum. Naraya naraya love kaamikanum. I want to treat you like the princess you are. Enkitta thirumba I love you solla maatiya maa?" He asked. She noticed him gulping and trying to hold his emotions and tears of happiness trickled down her cheeks. His hands were still cupping her face and he wiped away her tears with his thumbs.

She sniffled and said, "Ippidiye yen mugatha paathuttu irukka poreengala Illa kiss pannuveengala?" He quickly brought his lips to take over hers. They hurriedly grabbed on to each other and kissed passionately. They let each other know how much they missed each other but instead of words, their lips did the talking. They did not want to let go of each other. After the kiss they hugged each other tightly for  few minutes, without saying anything to each other. When they, finally let go, he held her face again saying, "Innime enna nadandhaalum sari we will face it together, ok? I will never leave you alone, I promise."

They did not know then that life was about to through several situations to try and challenge this promise.

Brinda Subramanian