Pre-term labor

28 weeks has passed. Shivu and AK were at the hospital for an ultrasound to make sure the babies were doing well. They were glued to the screen trying to figure out what the were seeing. Of course they could hear two heart beats. Dr.Gayathri smiled and said, "idho idhu thaan oru kozhandhaiyoda thalai. Innoru kozhandhai olinjukittu irukku but look at the baby sucking it's thumb?" Both Shivu and AK were excited and trying to look at what the doctor was pointing to. They really couldn't see the difference between the head and the butt but nodded. The doctor quickly took a print out and handed it to Shivu, 'Here you go. Unga babies oda first pic." Shivu and AK looked at each other lovingly and he quickly entwined his fingers with hers, giving it a squeeze.

Doctor then said, "Shivathmika, Neenga change panittu consultation room ku vaanga. Let's talk next steps." Doctor and AK left giving Shivu the privacy to clean her stomach and change into her maternity clothes. Shivu, being petite, looked like she was much more far along than 28 weeks. She walked to the office and sat in the chair next to AK. Dr. Gayathri had a serious look. She looked up and them and said, "Neenga innime thaan romba careful aa irukkanum. Unga womb seems a little lower than it should typically be. There is a danger of early labor. Babies oda lungs won't develop until at least 36 weeks. So naraya rest eduthukonga. Call us immediately if there is any bleeding, contractions or your water breaks. These are the immediate risks and pre-mature birth isn't uncommon. We have the best neonatal care here and we will take good care of you. I do need to see you every week now. So reception la next couple of weeks ku appointment vaangittu ponga. Other than that we are good to go. AK innime thaan Neenga unga wife a thanga thattu la vachu paathukanum." She smiled at them and said, "Shivathmika, don't worry. Everything is going to be fine ok? Next week paakalaam." The couple nodded and walked out of the hospital.

Unfortunately, the babies could not wait until the following week. One evening AK and Shivu were doing their regular round of walk when she stopped midway holding her stomach. AK immediately looked at her worrried and said, "Enna maa? Valikkidha?" She nodded and smiled at him saying, "Illai onnum illai. Konjam uncomfortable aa irukku." He stopped and said, "Indha bench la konjam ukkandhukalaama?" Just then he saw her wince a little and said, "Hospital polaama? Vaa naan Unna thookikaren. Nee nadaka vendaam." She smiled again saying, "Hospital ellam vendaam. Let's go home. Konja neram padutha seri ayidum." He looked at her with concern and said, "Are you sure?" She touched his cheek and said, "Absolutely sure." He looked at her pale face again and said, "Seri Appo car varaikkum Unna thookindu poren vaa." She giggled saying, "Ungala eppidi enna thooka mudiyum? Naan ippo evvalo weight theriyuma?" He looked at her with a fake hurt look saying, "Enna paatha mudiyadhu nu sollare? Idhu gym body theriyuma" and he quickly picked her up and she wrapped her arms around his neck giggling. He carried her to the car and they drove home.

As soon as they reached home, she decided to lie down and he said, "Madan rest eduthukonga. Naan ungalukku oru nice healthy vegetable soup eduthuttu varen, ok?" She smiled and nodded while she stretched herself on the bed, wincing again. AK went to the kitchen to get the soup ready. In a few minutes he heard a scream from the bedroom. His heart stopped at the sound. He dropped the knife and ran to the bedroom to find her standing holding her stomach. She looked terrified. As he moved closer to her he noticed a pool of fluid in the floor. She stammered, "mmmmy water.......water... just broke." Tears were flowing down her cheeks. He quickly hugged her and said, "Onnum illai maa. Onnum illai. I am calling for the ambulance right now. Don't worry."

The ambulance arrived in 20 minutes... the longest 20 minutes of their life and Shivu was having contractions. She did not realize the the "uncomfortable" feeling she had been feeling before were contractions. She was rushed to the hospital. AK sat right beside her holding her hands and kept saying, "Onnum aagadhu maa. Deiriyama iru. Naan thaan irukken la un kooda" but Shivu was crying uncontrollably both out of pain and fear. "Namma kozhandhaigalukku onnum aagadhu la? Enakku romba bayama irukku" she kept saying.

Dr.Gayathri was ready for them as the ambulance entered. Shivu was rushed into the operation theatre. She was holding on to AK until it was time to go in but she kept her gaze at him and before the doors shut he smiled and her with a flying kiss.

AK sat in a corner with his palms on his face. His legs were shaking. He was taking deep breaths. His heart was pounding heavily. He was scared. He was terrified for Shivu and for their babies. The next few hours were testing. He was praying to every God from every religion. Time seemed to have frozen. The tick tock sound of the clock was matching with his heart beat.

After the longest two hours, the door opened and Dr. Gayathri stepped out. She did not look happy. She gestured him to follow her into the office. She gulped some water from her bottle, took a deep breath and said, "Congrats AK, Neenga Appa ayiteenga but they babies are too small and, like I said earlier, lungs have not developed. To be very honest I don't know of babies who have actually survived, coming out this early. We just have to see. The babies are barely over 1 pound. Ungaloda palm oda alavu thaan irukaanga. NICU la vachirukkom and let's hope they are fighters. Ippodhakki avvalo thaan solla mudiyum. Shivathmika is being cleaned up and will be transferred to recovery room soon. Appo poi avangala paakalaam." She sighed and said, "My sincere prayers to you both and the babies. I know Doctors should be neutral but I really want good things to happen to you guys." She then stood up and walked up to AK. Then she did something that she had never done before. She hugged him and said, "All the best AK."

Brinda Subramanian