Emotions

Shivu and AK continued working hard and they turned out to be each other's lucky charm. They were growing rapidly, in their profession. AK was getting some amazing opportunities which also kept him away from Shivu for days because of abroad shooting but she too was traveling quiet a bit, doing concerts. They also had a very strong support system. Both sets of parents did their part to help out. AK's parents doted on Shivu. Although, it took some time, Shivu's parents too couldn't help but fall in love with AK. They saw how he treated their daughter and how much he loved and respected her.

Although professionally they were flourishing and were totally in love with each other, Shivu felt an unexplainable emptiness. She was yearning to be a mother. They were just going to celebrate their first anniversary. She knew it was still early and she had pleanty of time but she couldn't help how she felt. She had mentioned it to her mom once who assured her that such things take time and that it will happen naturally. AK has organized a fantastic party for their first anniversary. It wasn't a huge crown, just close friends and family. Pugazh Anna's son was very close to AK and Shivu. He was just over a year old and the second one was on the way. Prakash Anna, his wife and five year old daughter attended the function as well. Last, not the least, Monisha and her husband arrived. Monisha had gotten married two months after AK and Shivu and they had all had a blast at the wedding. Since they were the last ones to join the party, after hugging each other Shivu whispered to Monish, "Ennanga madam ivvalo late? Honey moon innum mudiyaliya?" Monisha blushed and said, "Adhellam illai aana unkitta onnu sollanum." Shivu smiled and asked, "Enna? Sollu Sollu?" Monisha excitedly said, "We are pregnant."

It was Shivu's anniversary and all were congratulating Monisha. Although Shivu was very happy for her friends, AK noticed her face seeming dull. He knew she was upset. He placed his hand on her back, asking her to relax. Rest of the evening went by pleasantly but Shivu could not wait for the party to be over. Guests started to leave one by one. Pugazh and Anni helped them clean up before they retired as well. Shivu shut the door after the last guest left and sighed. Without looking at AK she stomped into the bedroom and slammed the door. She was upset and mad for no apparent reason. She knew that she was being unreasonable but she wanted what they all had. Why would she conceive? They had never used contraception since the beginning. Why was she not pregnant yet? Did she have a problem? She did not even know how to bring it up to AK and it just frustrated her more. She saw how AK was holding Pugazh's baby and she wanted his to be holding his child that way. While her mind was thinking all this she grabbed the jewelry she was wearing and threw it in the draw. She hurriedly removed her saree and dumped it in a corner. She then changed into a night dress and washed her face thoroughly.

Meanwhile, AK knew that she was upset so he decided to give her some alone time before he came knocking at the door. She unlocked the door and pretended to be asleep. Ak came in and crept in bed beside her. She had her back facing him but he slowly pulled her close to him and hugged her. He then gently whispered, "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to but edhuva irundhaalum naan unkooda irukken nu mattum nyabagam vachukko maa." Her emotions started to flow down her cheeks in the form of tears. He held her close to him chest. Finally, between her crying she said, "Naan yen jealous aa feel pannaren? Monish is my best friend and I should be happy for her but but..." she continued crying. AK pulled her closer saying, "Shhh Shhhh it is ok. It happens. Onnu pannalaama? Naalike naan Dr. Gayathri office call panni namma rendu perukkum appointment vaangatuma? Will that help? Will you feel better getting checked?" She could not believe that he had brought it up. She looked up at him and said, "Eppidi Neenga ippidi irukeenga. I was a little hesitant to ask you because I thought, I thought..." He smiled and asked, "What did you think?" She continued, "I thought you will say one year thaane aachu. Give it some time nu but ennoda aadhangatha purinju neengale sonnadhu enakku... enna... eppidi.... I love you so much AK."

He kissed her forehead and said, "Unna pathi Unna vida nalla theriyum enakku. Kavala padaama thoongu. Naaliki poi doctor kitta pesalaam ok?"

The following day they went to see Dr.Gayathri, who did some basic examination and drew blood samples and semen samples for further test. During consultation she said, "Yen Shivu theva illama bayapadara? Naan examine pannina varaikkum you both are in perfect health. Nee romba stress eduthikaadhe. Relax and enjoy the process. Sila perukku konjam time aagum. Edhukkum I will send those samples to the lab to see if it shows something but ippodhaikku just take these multi vitamins with folic acid. Seekirame good news oda va. May be both of you need to take a break from work and go for a second honey moon" she said smiling. AK and Shivu looked at each other smiling. They thanked the doctor and left the office.

On their way back Shivu said, "Thanks AK. I feel so much better after seeing the doctor. Oru confidence that ellam nallapadiya nadakkum nu. Appidiye Kabaleeswarar kovil poitu polaama?" He smiled at her and said, "Unkitta no sollamudiyuma maa" and he drove towards the temple.

Brinda Subramanian