Cochlear implant

Although Surya's loss was huge for AK and Shivu, they had to stay brave and positive for Ananya. She had a long way to go. She was needing constant attention. Shivu decided to take a break from her career to take care of Ananya, full time. Thankfully, AK had a position in his industry where he could put his foot down to do 1-2 films a year. Even though they had strong family support, they wanted to be hands on parents. When Ananya was taken for her 4th month check up, a bombshell was thrown at AK and Shivu.

Dr. Anbazhagan looked concerned after the usual monthly check up. To reassure himself, he repeated the hearing test a couple of times and then asked AK and Shivu to sit down after handing over the baby to them. He cleared his voice and said, "Baby is growing well. Have you noticed anything different about her?" AK and Shivu glanced at each other and then back at the doctor asking, "Different na enna sollareenga?" The doctor said, "Neenga pannara sound ku ava react pannaraala? I know she smiles looking at your face but have you noticed anything else?" Shivu thought for a second and said, "Naan oru vishayam yosichen. Babies usually namma sodakku potta thirumbuvaanga but Iva thirumba maatengara. Also sound ku romba react panna maatengara unless adhu romba loud a irundha, like oru vessel keezha vizhundhudhuna. Adhuku kooda Chumma paarpa avalo dhan." Doctor nodded and said, "I am sorry to say this but Ananya has hearing impairment. Preliminary hearing test paninen which she has failed. Unfortunately hearing loss irukara vangalukku speech issues um irukkum. We will need to run few more tests in the next few months to see if she will qualify for cochlear implant. Here are some pamphlets for you to read about this. Outpatient surgery thaan idhu and we have some brilliant doctors at Apollo hospital who can do this but we have to wait until she is a year old. Meanwhile let us run all the tests and work on getting her ready."

AK and Shivu were shocked. Although, they knew there is hope, it still broke their heart to hear this. They thanked the doctor and left the hospital quietly. They could not say a word to each other until they reached the car and were on the road. Shivu broke a silence with a sad chuckle, "naan Ithana naala en kozhandhai ennoda paatu kettutu thoongara nu nenachen. Inniki thaan puriyadhu that she slept to silence. Adhu eppidi namma vazhkaila kadavul ippidi ellam vilayadaraar? Oorey en paata kekkudhu aana en kozhandaiyala adha kekka mudila la?" Shivu was heart broken, yet again. AK patted her hand gently and said, "Varutha padadhe maa adhu thaan Doctor sonnar le cochlear implant pathi. Kandippa namma Ananya kutty qualify aava. Avalukku nee thaalaatu paada thaan porey, adha kettu ava thoonga thaan pora. Ellam nalladha ve nadakkum maa." Although his words were soothing for her, he was worried too.

The next few months were extremely stressful. They were running around to every nook and corner for multiple tests. These test were expensive but fortunately finance wasn't their biggest problem. Finally, they got the good news. Ananya qualified for the implants. She had to wait until she turned a year old and was of a certain weight since she was going to be given general anesthesia. The procedure itself wasn't too complicated. AK and Shivu understood that the next few months after the surgery involved a lot of therapy. Ananya was going to be introduced to the world of sound for the first time which meant she was also going to learn to make sounds and speak. Unlike us, speech would not come automatically.

Ananya, being a premature baby was having delayed developments. She wasn't gaining weight at the rate in which they liked to see her grow. She was having wheezing problems too for which they had to use a nebulizer frequently. Finally, at 15 months, Ananya was ready for the implant. It was going to be an out patient procedure. They were scheduled at 9am. Shivu was extremely anxious as she was getting ready and was chanting prayers walking up and down. AK knew that she needed help to calm down. He was in the bedroom so he called for her, "Shivu maa, oru nimisham inge vaayen?" Shivu walked in still muttering and not looking up at him. He quickly pulled her close to him in a gentle but tight hug and placed her head near his chest. She clung on to him. He said, "Calm down maa. Just listen to my heart beat. Nee eppodhum solluviye enna hug panni ennoda heart beat ketta unakku relaxing aa irukkum nu. Ippo kelu maa. Ellam seri ayidum." She slowly relaxed.

AK and Shivu were anxiously waiting in the lobby when they heard the nurse call out their name. She smiled and said, "Surgery mudinju recovery la vandhachu paapa. Neenga poi paakalaam. Dr. Gupta ange thaan irukaanga." The anxious parents hurried to the room. Dr. Gupta was checking Ananya's vitals. He looked up at them and smiled, "The surgery went very well. You baby girl is awake. Do you want to test if she can hear?" Ananya was not facing them so the doctor gestured AK to click his fingers.

Both the parents could hear their own hearts pounding. Is this finally happening? Is their baby girl going to be able to hear them? AK and Shivu stood there holding hands tightly with their fingers entwined. They took a few deep breaths before AK clicked a finger. At first there was no reaction. It was disheartening. Just when they were about to feel dejected, it happened. She turned around and smiled. AK and Shivu ran towards their daughter. Dr. Gupta laughed, "There it works like a charm. Just remember that she can hear but she hears differently. Sound waves have to travel to her brain before she can respond so she will react a few seconds later than normal people would but your baby girl can definitely hear and I am very happy to share with you that her vocal cords and speech are perfect, which means, with some speech therapy, soon she will be a talker as well. You will have to be very patient through this process and keep communicating with her. Now I will let you all enjoy your new baby." AK and Shivu thanked the Doctor profusely. They completed the discharge work and went home very happy.

A few months later, one day AK was bathing Ananya and was playing Peekaboo. While saying, "Ananya papa enge? Ananya paapa enge?" she was giggling and suddenly, out of the blue, said her first word, "Aaapppaaa"

Brinda Subramanian