Meeting the Dad

Shivu, AK and her parents were all sitting in the living room. There was an eerie silence. Their hearts were all pounding. Finally, Shivu's dad broke the silence. He looked up at AK with a forced smile and said, "Ungalukku theriyadhadhu onnum illai. Shivu engalukku orey kozhandhai. Kalyanam mudinju 10 years ku aparam thaan porandha. We consider her our gift from God. Avaloda happiness thaan engalukku mukkiyam. Ava kettadha ellame kuduthirukkom. She has also been a responsible child. Ava enga kitta edhuvume maraikka maata." He cleared his throat and continued, "Ungala pathi sonna podhu naanga thaan meet panna solli kettom. We want to get to know you and about your plans for our daughter." Then he took a sip of the filter coffee that was placed in front of him.

AK smiled and took a sip of water. He wasn't a caffeine drinker. In fact, this was where AK and Shivu's first conversation had begun. His mind went back to that moment temporarily but he quickly brought himself back to the present and said, "Sir, naan vandhu CBE la engineering mudichu MBA mudichen. My father wanted me to join him in the family business but ennoda passion vandhu acting. So naan adhu pursue pannanum nu inge vandhen. Yes, I am still a struggling actor. Enga parents ku Idhula viruppam illai so avanga enkitta perusa pesikkardhilla. I know that naan Idhuvaraikkum sonna vishayam edhuvum oru ponnu kekka vara situation ku ideal kedayadhunu but Neenga enna paathi therinjukanum nu aasa padaren." He then looked up straight at Shivu's dad's eyes and said, "Sir Naanum Shivu vum oruthar oruthar mela uyire vachirukkom sir. Avala Rani madhiri vachuppen. I am not someone who plays around in this matter. Indha dating nu oora suthardhu, adhellam en style kedayadhu sir. I was to marry her sir. I need two years sir. I have spoken to her about that. I am sure I will reach a place. I believe in myself and my talent. My hope keeps growing everyday. Nadakkum sir kandippa nadakkum."

Shivu's dad looked at her face. Her eyes were looking at him eagerly. He quickly smiled at his daughter and then at AK, "Arvind, en ponnu oru kozhandhai. She is very young. She has just turned 21 and has a long way to go. Naraya talents innum ava explore pannala. I understand that you need your time and we are in no rush to get her married but oru hypothetical question, what if it does not work for you in two years? Also, like I said, our daughter is still very young and has a lot more to explore. What if she realizes that what she has for you is just crush?" Shivu stood up and glared at her dad but he gestured her to sit down.

AK smiled and said, " Sir your concerns are very valid. Enakku 2 years kulla if nothing works out I still have my MBA sir. I will find something that I am less passionate about. What Shivu and I have is magic sir. Andha magic e ennikume yaaru kittayume recreate panna mudiyadhu." Then AK and Shivu glanced at each other lovingly and he continued, "We are meant to be together sir" and they smiled.

Her dad sighed and said, "Ok let's see what the universe decides. Neenga sonna madiri if it is meant to be, nothing can stop it from happening but enna poruthavaraikkum ennoda kozhandhaiyoda happiness thaan mukkiyam. I am not going to restrict you guys but I will always be on the look out to make sure she does not get hurt in the process" and he stood up. AK too stood up and shook hands with the gentleman. He nodded a good bye and a slight wave to Shivu before heading out the door.

Both went to bed with a lot of Hope 💜

Brinda Subramanian

There is the first chapter. Do tell you what you think.