Transformation

Ananya felt a lot better after speaking with her parents. She then went up to her room and decided to call Ani. "Dei Ani Shaan call paninaan da. We really have to help him. I cannot do this by myself. I need you and Kav to help me. Enna sollarey." Ani immediately agreed and conferenced Kavya. Ananya began by asking them to tell her everything that happened. Initially Ani and Kavya were reluctant because they had promised Shaan that they wouldn't tell Anu anything but when she convinced then that they are only helping Shaan, they finally spoke and told her everything. After hearing it all, Ananya realized what a huge sacrifice Shaan had done for her. He had literally given up his dream and passion for hers. She had been so immature and self centered to even understand any of this. She was overwhelmed to realize how much she meant to him.

She frowned thoughtfully and said, "Hmmm... thanks for sharing this. Now it is my turn to bring him out of this. The world needs to see his talent but before that he needs to see that camera is his happy place. I want you two to help me with this. Are you in?" Ani and Kavya were more than happy to help. After telling then that she will let them know when to jump in, she hung up the phone. Anu then smiled to herself and mumbled, "Shaan I still am not sure about our relationship but one thing I know for a fact is that you are the kind of friend everyone should have and I want you in my life at any capacity. I want to be a true friend to you first." She then sent a quick GIF message to him saying hello.

Shaan was sitting and watching a documentary when his phone pinged. He, lethargically, glanced at it and immediately smiled looking at the message. Meenakshi noticed that and smiled to herself. After years she got a glimpse of that whole hearted smile from him. Meenakshi did not know what had happened between Shaan and Anu. He had suddenly stopped talking about her and had packed his camera in a bag and put it away. She knew that Shaan's life was in his camera but she didn't dare ask him. She knew it was a battle he had to fight on his own.

She observed a change in him in the next few days. Ananya would message him something or the other making his smile of even laugh sometimes. Finally, a week later, she noticed Shaan on the phone talking to someone. His face had lit up after years. Her heart told her it was Anu but she wasn't a kind of mother who would ask. She always waited until told but she went to her room and opened her favourite book Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. She recalled her debate with her husband about this book. Both of them had read this in high school and loved to argue about the profound philosophy in it. This had a very special place in her heart. She opened the book to pull out a black and white pic of her soldier. Shoumitro was a handsome man with sharp features. He had the most intense yet romantic eyes. She took the pic out and smiled at him. She said, "Shome, after years I see Shaan smiling. It is so heartwarming. He is just like you. Keeps everything to himself. He thinks I don't notice but I do. You know what, I think there is a special girl in his life you is making him smile. I have a feeling that she is going to come in like a hurricane and sweep him off his feet. He deserves to be loved like that. I think it is about time I let go off him. He is a grown man now. Not our little baby anymore. I have you with me always, right. Shhh... I hear him coming out of his room. I will see you later" and she put the pic back.

Shaan came out of his room saying, "Amma, Amma enge irukke? Amma, indha weekend konjam chennai varaikkum polaam nu irukken. Neeyum variya? Namma pazhaya veedu pakkam Unna kondu vidaren. Ennoda friends aa paakanam pola irukku. Enna sollare?" Meenakshi smiled and said, "Seri da poitu varalaam."

Ananya had convinced Shaan to come over to Chennai to just catch up and have dinner. She was definitely a smooth talker. This was just the first step to her major plans. She was happy with how things were going so far. Ananya surprised her mom though by what she went and asked her. "Amma, indha weekend Shaan a chennai ku vara convince panitten. We are meeting for dinner but I don't know what to wear." AK almost choked on his coffee when he heard that and Shivu gasped but Ananya did not notice any of that. She looked worried, "Amma shopping polaama? I want to get a nice dress. Let's have a girls day out. Hair cut panni vera romba varsham aachu. I think it's time for a new look. Enna sollarey?" Shivu was pleasantly surprised and looked at AK who smiled and nodded. Shivu immediately, "Oh oh ok. Yes let's do it." In an hour they were ready to go out. AK winked at Shivu and whispered to her, "Namma ponna andha paiyan madakittan nu nenaikaren. Ponna maarindu vara. Idhuvum cute aa thaan irukku." Shivu giggled patting his cheek.

Brinda Subramanian