Realization

Shivu woke up to find AK missing. She opened an eye to see if she could hear anything from the bathroom but it was quiet. She slowly got out of bed and went to the bathroom to freshen up. As she stepped down towards the kitchen she head a muffled, non sync humming of a popular 90's song. She rolled her eyes and shut her ears with her fingers and mumbled, "Ayo ivar hum pannardhukkum andha paatukkum sammandhame illiye. Nalla paata super a kudukaraan but sonna hurt ayidum chella kutty." Then she crept in and hugged him from behind. He stopped humming and smiled with a "Good morning darling." She let go of him and said, "Rendu naal munnadi thaan Doctor all ok nu soleerkaanga Adhukulla kitchen la enna pannareenga? Enna ezhupeerkalaam la?" she frowned.

He turned around. Pulled her close to him and kissed her forehead saying, "You know that I love making breakfast for you and Anu kutty. Idhu oruvidhamaana relaxation maa enakku. Don't worry. Naan strain ellam pannale. I am just making blueberry pancakes." Then in his sexy base voice he said, "Nee thaan solluviye that you find a man in apron sexy nu" and he winked at her. She went close to his to remove the flour from his cheek. Then she pinched his cheek and whispered, "Correction sir, not
A man in apron, only MY man in apron but sir romba romantic aa ellam try panna vendaam. No action for a while." He pouted and said, "Ennama ippidi sollitte. Doctor a e naan ok nu solitaar theriyuma?" She glared at him and said, "Kaalangarthala pesara pecha idhu? Kalyana vayasula namakku oru ponnu irukka nyabagam irukattum." He smiled and nodded but immediately turned serious and said, "Aama ava enge aale kaanum? Usually she is at the kitchen by this time whining and begging for food." Shivu looked up towards the bedroom and started walking towards it saying, "Naan poi paathuttu varen."

She knocked on Ananya's door saying, " Anu maa breakfast ready. Appa unakaaga special aa panirkaar. Ezhundhukko da." After a few seconds Ananya responded in a muffled voice, "Varen ma." Shivu nodded and walked back to help her husband set the dining table up. Ananya came down slowly and plopped herself on the chair. AK and Shivu glanced at each other then AK cleared his throat and said, "Good morning Anu kutty. Nalla thooginiya? Yen oru madiri irukke? Are you okay baby?" The minute he called her a baby she ran up to him, hugged him and started to weep. He held her tightly and looked up at Shivu, who looked equally worried and confused as him. He quickly untied his apron with one hand and, holding Ananya, the walked to the sofa, where she placed her head on his lap and continued crying. He patted her head until she calmed down. Then he asked her, "Enna da aachu?"

Ananya finally spoke, "Appa Shaan had called me yesterday. Five years aachu paa. Avan yen ennoda friendship cut panninaan nu therila aana Appo enakku romba hurt aachu. I did not know what to think of our relationship. Adhunaala thaan adha pathi unga kitta kooda sollale because enakku enna sollanum nu therila but ippo Avan kitta pesina apparam I feel I have let him down as a friend. I feel responsible for him to have given up his passion. I feel really guilty Appa" and a fresh set of tears started to flow down her cheeks.

Shivu quickly came up to the daughter to pacify her. AK wiped Anu's tears and said, "Achacho don't be so hard on yourself. Enna achu nu sollu and may be we can help?" but Anu said, "No Appa. This is something I need to do. I need to work on rebuilding my relationship with him, it will take some effort from my end. Naan konjam selfish a irundhirukkeno nu thonudhu. I have to help him see that photography is his happy place. He is clearly very unhappy now and I don't think he even realizes that. It is my responsibility, as a friend, to help him see this. If this means I have to go down to Bangalore then I will. Are you guys with me?"

AK and Shivu smiled at each other and then they hugged their daughter. Shivu looked at Anu and said, "Anu kutty, you are a kind human being. You have a beautiful heart and you mean well. We know that and I am sure Shaan does too but if you think he needs your help then you must absolutely go and help him. Let me tell you one more thing, during this process you will also gradually figure out if Shaan is just a friend or if there is something more. Keep an open mind and an open heart my child. You too deserve to be able to accept love in all forms. I am sure you understand what I am saying. Do what you need to do and we are with you a thousand percent."

Ananya felt much better and she smiled at her parents and said, "Seri ippo bayangarama padikkidu and those pancakes look and smell delicious. Vaanga onna saapdlaam." They enjoyed a nice long family breakfast.

Brinda Subramanian