Reunion

Shaan arrived first. It was their usual cafe. He hadn't visited the place since the last time they all met. It still hurt a little and he was having flashes of that night. The place had expanded a little. He looked around and also noticed how much a generation had changed in just 5 years. Most people were physically present but mentally in a virtual world. They were engrossed in their phones. Even though it seemed like they were having a conversation, they were glancing at their phones or their watch every few seconds, giving only 50% to the person across. He looked around and smirked. He was a little anxious himself about meeting Ananya. He remembered the tomboyish, high energy girl, always in oversized clothes and a boyish cap. Her hair was always pulled over her ears in an attempt to cover the implants. The thought of her high pitched laughter immediately brought a smile and he looked down rubbing his eyebrow with his index finger. He laughter was so contagious. He remembered how she teased him about not being up to date with the latest Rap song. Her passion and dedication towards her craft always blew him away. He wondered if she would have changed. Although during their phone conversations and chats she didn't seem to have changed much, he was going to see her for the first time in 5 years and that made him feel a little nervous. His phone buzzed just then and he smiled, "I see you picked our usual table" it said. His smile faded when it dawned that she had just arrived.

He looked up in anticipation and his heart skipped a beat at what he saw. Ananya looked gorgeous as she walked towards him in a beautiful lavendar color long dress. She had her lovely hair down with its natural waves which were bouncing as she walked. She had dangling earrings to match the outfit. He had never seen her wearing earrings. Her eyebrows were done. She wore eyeliner which brightened her already expressive eyes. He noticed the lipstick and lipgloss. Her sparkling smile was intact as she did her signature wave mouthing a "Hi". He realized that he was gaping at her with his mouth open. She walked up to him saying, "Ennachu? Yen appidi paakare?" He quickly smiled and cleared his throat saying, "Illai onnum illai. Mmmm.... It is so good to see you." She smiled saying, "Ya I know. Like old times la? By the way, you look good man. I love the trimmed beard look" and she winked which made him blush and he looked away. She laughed out loudly, "Cute Shaan nee. I cannot believe that I can still make you blush." He nodded and looked at her saying, "Nee maarave illai." She chuckled, "Appidiya? Naan ippo pennaaga maarivittene adhu un kannukku theriyavillaiya" she said posing like a model and he laughed again then he looked into her eyes and said, "Romba azhaga irukke." There was something in his eyes that, for the first time, made her blush.

The moment was interrupted by Ani and Kavya walking hand in hand. They quickly greeted each other and placed their usual order of an extra large pizza and smoothies. Ananya said it was her treat as she had won the award. She said, "Naan indha award vaanginadhukku Neenga ellarum thaan reason. So this is my treat and just the beginning of many more." Shaan tried to argue but the other two readily agreed that Ananya should treat them and they all laughed about it.

Although Ananya was trying to hide it, she couldn't help her heart flutter every time she looked at Shaan. She knew that she felt differently this time. It wasn't just his look but there was something about his eyes. She noticed a little sadness in his eyes and she felt an intense need to change that. His smile wasn't as innocent and child like that it used to be. It broke her heart to see him heart broken. He noticed her looking at him and lost in thought so he raised his eyebrows as though asking what was wrong. She immediately smiled and nodded a nothing but made a mental note to self that she was going to fix it.

After a couple of hours of catching up and laughing, Ani and Kavya decided to leave. Ananya's house was only two blocks away and it was a beautiful full moon night. When Ananya told Shaan that she was planning to walk back home, he offered to walk her up to her home and take a cab from there. The street wasn't too crowded as they stepped out. Ananya thought for a second and said, "Shaan, naan two weeks la Bangalore varen. I need your help with something. Nee no solla maatenu nambaren" she looked at him. He smiled gently and said, "Sollu maa." The moment she heard the "maa" she felt flutters from her stomach to her heart. Before it could reach her cheeks which would flush, she looked away and continued, "Naan oru site location kaaga Bandeja falls varaikkum poganum. I want to hike there to see the location. I need you to come with me and I want you to take out your camera." He looked at her in shock. He had not touched his camera in years. Even the thought hurt him. He had put it away for her and now she wanted him to pull it out? No way. Nothing is going to make him go back to it. Just when he was about to say no, she held his hand, looked into his eyes and said, "Please? Ennakaaga panna maatiya Shaan?"

He looked for a second into those puppy eyes and melted. He said, "Unakaaga kandippa." She squealed in happiness and clapped. Then, before he realized, she gave him a quick hug. He hugged her back and waved her a bye as she walked into her house while he stepped into the cap. The events of the evening was running like a movie, in his head, long after he reached home.

Brinda Subramanian