Memories

30 years had passed by and every time she saw the rain, she thought of that very day when he had dropped her off. She had felt an immense happiness that day. She had wanted to fly like a butterfly. She could not sleep and night and she blushed just thinking about him. "I was so naive and young" she said, sitting near the window sil, watching the rain. "I was blown away by first love. AK swept me off my feet. I was never that girl who would hide her feelings. I wanted the entire world to know how I felt" she smiled, "I hadn't faced the storm called life yet and everything looked beautiful to me."

Just them she heart the beeping sound of the monitor and stood up but just then the nurse stepped in to adjust the IV medication for the patient lying in bed. The monitor went back to its rhythmic beeping and Shivu slowly walked to the reclining chair in the corner and sat there stretching her legs. Shivu still looked gorgeous even with the wrinkled skin and gray hair. She wore loose cotton pants and a button down shirt. She had cut her hair short for convenience. She could not read much without her glasses and she had slowed down quiet a bit but otherwise she did not have a lot to complain about.

Rachna, their neighbors 23 year old daughter, had been the one to respond immediately when AK collapsed. AK and Shivu had, as usual taken their evening walk. Both of them had come in close contact with Covid and since then AK's health had deteriorated. Shivu had forced him to get out of the house for regular walks and so he had decided to do that. He was actually starting to feel much better too but a couple of days ago, while returning from his walk, he collapsed right outside their front door. Rachna happened to have just returned from college so she quickly called for an ambulance and they took him to the hospital. He had had a cardiac arrest and was in need of a surgery right away. The 6 hour long surgery had been completed that morning but he was still sedated. Recovery was going to be a slow process and it required a lot of patience, dedication and support. Due to his age, he was under strict observation for 72 hours.

Rachna sat next to Shivu and said, "Aunty tell me more. Your love story is so much more interesting than books or movies. I have noticed how uncle still dotes on you after all these years. He is so romantic. How is that possible even after all these years? How did he propose to you aunty? Did he patch things up with his parents? Oh my God! I want to know it all aunty. Please tell me the entire story before I explode in curiosity."

Shivu closed her eyes and laughed, "Wait wait, I will tell you everything." Just then her phone rang and she quickly answered seeing it was Pugazh, "Hello Anna, eppidi irukeenga? Haan ivar ku innum nenavu thirumbala anna. 72 hours konjam paathukanum nu soleerkaanga. Enkooda Rachna irukka. Illai Neenga vara ellam vendaam. Naan avara paathukaren. Haan ok, naan discharge aana udane sollaren. Ok Anna bye. Annikitta kozhandhaiga kitte ellam solidunga. Vachurava? " and she hung up, sighing.

"Aunty naan coffee vaanga poren Ungalukku edhavudhu venuma?" Rachna asked. Shivu smiled and said, "Thanks but vendaam ma. Naan coffee tea kudikka maaten. Indha water bottle la konjam sudu thanni mattum vaaangittu variya ma?" Rachna quickly grabbed the bottle and headed to the cafeteria.

Shivu went back to reminiscing.

Brinda Subramanian