Coffee kudippom

AK was discharged from the hospital. Ananya was waiting for them in the car. The nurse rolled his wheelchair towards the back seat and Shivu helped him settle in. She placed a pillow next to him and slowly started to move to sit on the passenger side next to Ananya. AK quickly held Shivu's hand and asked, "En pakathulla ukkara maatiya?" Ananya promptly replied, "Appa ippo indha romance thevaya? Heart a ippo thaan otta vachirukkanga. Paathu pa." Shivu giggled at the daughter's response and said, "Ayo kaiya vidunga. Idho indha pillow va katti pudichukonga veetukku vara varaikkum."

Her parents PDA was not new for Ananya. In fact, she rolled her eyes calling them "cringe" sometimes and her dad would promptly say that she hasn't met the love of her life yet and hence she is jealous. Things had changed after she had met Shantanu though.

Shantanu was fascinated by her during their first meet at the coffee shop. Unlike other girls, Ananya walked in wearing baggy pants, a t-shirt and a cap on her head. Her nails were not done and was evident that she bit her nails, possible, when she was anxious. She had no make up on. She just wore kajal and lipgloss. The most beautiful thing about her was that she wasn't trying to impress at all and that was impressive. As soon as she stepped in, she looked around for a few seconds before she found him in the corner table. She waved at him and he responded by waving back and flashed a smile. "Parava Illa paiyan handsome aa irukkan. Good eye candy but Ananya focus pannu. Vandha velaiya modhalla paaru. Sight adikkardhu ellam apparama pannalaam" she told herself as she walked up to him.

He stood up as she headed closer to him. He was tall and she liked that, almost as tall as her dad. She quickly cleared her throat. It took her a moment to hear his hello. As a habit, she raised one eyebrow, something she had learnt from her dad, then she smiled and said, "Hello, again I am Ananya. Before we start, there is something you need to know about me because if we are collaborating to do this project, we need to know each other a bit. If I don't answer you right away, it is not because I am arrogant or rude." She took of her cap exposing her cochlear implant. She continued, "I am deaf by birth. I hear because of this machine so when you talk to me it takes a bit for it to reach my ear." She noticed his face drop in sympathy but she immediately said, "Idhunaala work ellam edhuvum affect aagadhu also don't feel sorry for me. This is a very small disability compared to what I have seen. I am actually blessed. Can you work with me without this being a distraction?"

Shantanu quickly nodded and said, "Yes yes of course. I am actually very impressed with your story idea and would love to be your DOP. Incidentally, I too, was planning to go to New York for the cinematography program so we can use the same work for both our submissions. What do you say? If you are ok with it, we can go to cuddalore this weekend to start." Ananya was thrilled to hear that. She said, "That's fantastic. By the way, Shantanu ku short name irukka?" He smiled touching his left  eyebrow with his right thumb and said, "My friends call me Shaan. You can call me that or whatever is easy for you." She held out her hand and said dramatically, "Hello Shaan you can call me Anu." They laughed out loud sipping on their drinks.

Both of them felt a sense of warmth in each other's company. That evening she returned home to find her parents watching one their fabourite movies from the 90's "Sachin". AK had the recliner up on the couch with his legs extended. His arms were wrapped around Shivu, who had her head on his shoulder. As they noticed, Ananya walk in, AK asked without looking up, "Anu maa saaptiya da?" She answered, "Yes pa. I am all set. I will leave you two love birds to enjoy your movie. Naan room ku poi konjam vela paakaren. By the way, weekend naan Cuddalore ku oru project panna poren." AK immediately paused the movie and Shivu looked up.

Ananya smiled and walked up to them, "This is for my scholarship competition submission. I have found my DOP Appa.  He is a very talented young man. Avan kooda thaan poren. Avanukkum New York ponamam so it is a win win." AK and Shivu smiled saying, "That's wonderful. Jaagardhaya poitu vaa. I am sure you will do a great job as usual." Anu smiled back and said, "Neenga Padam paarunga naan poi konjam research pannaren." She walked away.

She took a few steps and stopped mid way saying, "By the way, Shantanu is quiet good looking." Her parents turned around to look at her and she quickly winked at them before skipping off to her room.

Brinda Subramanian