Chapter 62

I bite my lip, trying not to smudge my perfectly lined and puffed lips as I try to hold in my annoyance.

"What do you mean she's coming?" I finish my brows and then go to my mascara, selecting the darkest black I find.

"Her mom talked to mine and they thought it would be a good idea that Stephanie joined us, I don't know." 

Caroline rolls her eyes and only then continues.

"But Stephanie of course, knows that tonight Jayden's hosting a pre-tour party in L.A." 

This time I roll my eyes. 

"Whatever."

I don't know when or how she'll be here but I can't add on more things to be nervous about for tonight. We only have another half an hour to get ready and that in itself is already more stressful than an unexpected college test.

My phone vibrates with a text from Jayden telling us he'll be here in the next fifteen minutes and I scramble to find my dress on the bed.

It's a long black dress that lifts up slightly on my right thigh. I've never worn anything like this before and with the simple strappy black heels I bought, this dress looks like something out of a movie.

Just as I'm getting dressed and Caroline is finishing up her very light makeup that matches her dress, we hear a knock at the door and my stomach grumbles.

I open the door slowly, still wearing my towel only to reveal the person I don't want to see right now; Stephanie.

"Wow you guys look amazing." She peaks her head in at both Caroline and me.

"Yeah, thanks."

I open the door for her and shut it behind her as she walks in. It's somehow less nerve-wracking that she's here with her thin blonde hair. She looks fragile, and not someone who seems like a party-goer.

She shows me her small makeup bag and I point her to the bathroom where Caroline is now dressing. It's amazing that she's attempting to do her makeup in fifteen minutes. For someone who is obsessed with Jayden her effort is really ironic.

"Maria?"

I nod at the voice as I finish zipping up my dress, moving down to my heels.

"Yeah?" I shout back toward the bathroom

"I want you to know that, I'm not here to steal Jayden or take his attention away from you in any way. I just want us all to be friends. And I actually think he couldn't have found a more perfect person to be with." Her smile is genuine and I want to punch myself for hating on her subconsciously all these years.

She's like Caroline's annoying little sister, who always wants to hang out with us but I can't blame her. She's kind and caring--sometimes weird, but caring.

"Feel free to use any of my makeup if you need it," I tell Stephanie who smiles proudly.

I want to be kind to her; I am kind to her. it's just difficult at times.

WHEN WE'RE ALL READY, Jayden shoots me a text that he's outside waiting. I instantly feel my stomach grumble and my knees want to give him but I force them to walk out the door.

My purse hangs delicately on my shoulder and Caroline and Stephanie follow.

Caroline and I both have a hotel card which makes me wonder if Stephanie is just going to follow us around all night, but right now we don't have a choice.

I breathe in, telling myself that I'm going to stop focusing on Stephanie as of right now. And I breathe out, to force myself to be kind to her no matter what.