Chapter Sixty-Four - My First Love

My fingers instinctively tightened around Theo's jacket, and Axel shot me a narrowed gaze

My fingers instinctively tightened around Theo's jacket, and Axel shot me a narrowed gaze. But as I glanced back at him, the intensity in his eyes wasn't directed at me; it was fixated on the jacket.

I know he was jealous, he had always been the possessive kind of boyfriend but the problem was, he wasn't my boyfriend now. He was just a co-parent and maybe, a friend? He was a friend, he had helped me out a lot, I just can't overlook that fact. Friend or more, that was a line yet to be clearly drawn.

"Care to join me for a drink?" he said.

A hesitant smile played on my lips. Approaching him felt like stepping into the unknown, a risky move.

"I'm tired, I should just get to bed—"

He cut me off mid-sentence. "Come on, Chloe, it's just one drink." His invitation hung in the air, a tempting offer that blurred the lines between caution and curiosity.

Walking toward him, I felt his eyes tracing my every step, the intensity pulling me in like a magnetic force. Settling into the chair opposite him, the only sound was the crackling of the fire, a backdrop to the charged atmosphere.

Axel poured a glass of whiskey, his movements deliberate. As he handed it to me, our fingers brushed, sending a shiver down my spine. I took the glass with a smile, but my hands betrayed the subtle tremor.

"She ate her dinner, took her medication and then we watched a movie before I gave her a shower, brushed her teeth and put her to bed," he explained before I could even ask.

"You're getting the hang of it," I remarked, returning the smile.

He leaned back, "So, how was your date?"

I took a sip of the whiskey, contemplating how to answer. "It wasn't really a date, just a friendly dinner but it was nice, actually. We just talked about life, and Theodore even offered me a part-time job at his gaming company."

Axel raised an eyebrow, "A job?"

I nodded, "Yeah, just a casual thing. Something to do while I figure things out."

He leaned forward, his gaze intense, "You're not seriously considering it, are you?"

I sighed, "I don't know, Axel. It's an opportunity, and I could use a fresh start."

His expression tightened, "Are you sure Theodore Wyatt isn't looking for a different kind of opportunity?"

I rolled my eyes, "Don't make it something it's not. It's just a job, Axel."

He scoffed, taking a sip of his own drink. "Right, just a job."

The room fell into a tense silence, the only sound being the faint crackling of the fireplace. I studied Axel's face, the play of shadows on his sharp features. He seemed agitated, and I couldn't quite understand why my potential job was bothering him so much.