Chapter Thirty-Six - DNA Test

Enjoy!

I combed the barbie doll's hair, it was all tangled up

I combed the barbie doll's hair, it was all tangled up. I tried to get the knot out but ended up ripping out a chunk of her hair. My eyes widened as I realized what I have done.

Alexa dropped whatever she was doing, her eyes zeroed in on the comb in my hands with a lot of fake blonde hair over it and then her eyes went to her barbie's head—who was now bald from one side.

"I'll buy you a new one" I immediately told her.

But instead of getting mad, her little face twisted with laughter, and then she burst out laughing; her laugh made me smile and relieved. She grabbed the barbie from my hand and ran to her mother.

"Mommy, look what Axel did!"

Chloe talked to Alexa, smiled with her, and then her eyes went to Charlotte. She tensed and stood up excusing herself. I frowned; my eyes followed her till she disappeared into the bedroom. She seemed on edge and a little bit nervous.

My eyes went to Charlotte, who seems to be in a conversation with Alexa now. I walked to them, Alexa showed her the doll and laughed before she ran back to her toys.

"What happened?" I asked Charlotte.

"Is she really her?" she asked, confusion morphing her features.

I hadn't fucking prepared to tell my family about her. Fuck! It's like I never wanted to tell anyone about her, she was mine. I wish I could shield her away from the world, put her in my pocket, and keep her close to me at all times so no one would even breathe near her. "Yeah..."

She glanced at the door where Chloe had disappeared into. "It's just... from the past five and half years, I thought she was dead. We all thought that she was dead"

I nodded. "I don't know if dad had set it up or maybe someone stole her identity but the girl that died wasn't Chloe. She was a twenty-five years old, blonde woman. Dad gave me a fake autopsy report, so there's that"

Charlotte swallowed. "You think dad would do something like this?"

I gave her a humorless smile, thinking about all the lies he had told me, all the fake promises he had broken, and how he left Chloe—a seventeen-year-old high school girl—on the streets to fend for herself. For Charlotte dad was everything. For her, he was the best man that ever walked this earth and I didn't want to shatter that image for her. If he is good to her then I don't have a problem with them.

"I don't know, Charlie. I don't what happened to that girl or if dad did it or not but I will find out soon enough"

She nodded and grabbed her head in her hands. "I was so rude to her..." she mumbled under her breath.