Chapter Forty - My Blue-Eyed Girl

Peanuts, fucking, peanuts

My heart skipped a beat...

I didn't need a fucking DNA test.

Alexa is mine, fucking mine...

I stared down at her familiar blue eyes as she looked up at me. She frowned, touching my leg, and tugging on my trousers. "Axel..." she said in that sugary, sweet tiny voice of hers.

That's my child...

Alexa Jones is my daughter...

I have a daughter...

I'm a father...

Alexa King...

She was Alexa King...

My daughter...

"Axel?" she again called me, "Why are you looking at me like this?"

"Sir, your order?" the woman behind the counter asked for the fourth time.

I stared at the woman behind the counter, she raised an eyebrow before my attention shifted back to Alexa. My body was in total fucking paralysis, I couldn't form a single word.

"Axel!" she tugged at my trousers hard, her eyes watered, she blinked looking up at me and my eyes followed the tears that rolled down those chubby, pink cheeks, "I'm scared..."

She was scared, she was scared of me. My face must've shown the turmoil I was feeling inside. I was fucking disoriented, how could I not see it?

I shook my head, dropping to my haunches in front of her, my hands went to her cheek, wiping off the tears. "No, no, I'm sorry..."

"Why are you looking at me like this?" she asked again.

You're mine! You're mine! You're mine!

Chloe was pregnant when I left, she was pregnant when they took her, she was pregnant and alone, and I wasn't there for her or my daughter...

My fucking DNA is my irrevocable tie to this child...

And this child is my irrevocable tie to Chloe...

"STOP IT!" she stomped her feet into the ground.

I grabbed her little shoulders, they were so small, both of them could easily fit into my single hand. My daughter...

"Come here," I just said before I pulled her into my arms.

She wrapped her arms around my neck, clinging to me, I rubbed my hand up and down her back. I couldn't fucking believe it.

She can't be mine. I wasn't fucking worthy. I wasn’t good enough or deserving of her innocence.

How long has it been? How old was she? Five? I lost five years? Warmth returned to my chest after so many fucking years. I now had a daughter, and I was determined to be the best father I could be.