Chapter Fifty-One - Just Her.

He really needed that

He really needed that. Gradually I backed away taking one step after another until I was out of the room. He needed some time with Alexa to heal.

I granted them a generous half-hour in private. Yet, eventually, I couldn't resist the pull to be close to Alexa again. I rose from my seat and retraced my steps back to the room, only to get rooted to my spot right outside the door.

Axel was crying...

Not just crying, he was sobbing as if he were a child...

I stayed there as I listened to him, he was talking to her in a small, soothing voice.

"I'm so sorry, baby. I wish I could turn back the clock and just love you as you were. I wish I could take back everything I ever said about you. I wish I was there to watch you grow..."

I stood there, pressed against the doorframe, my own eyes welling up with tears. An unfamiliar ache tugged at my heart, a longing I hadn't felt in years.

A voice deep inside of me whispered an unexpected truth—I wished he had been there too.

"I wish I was there when you were born, holding onto your mom's hand. I wish I could be the first person to hold you when you came into this world..."

I silently pushed the door open, peering inside. Axel had his back to me, his form hunched as he crouched beside Alexa's bed, delicately holding her tiny feet in his hands.

"I wish I had been there for your first word, your first steps, and your first day of school," he murmured, his voice tinged with longing.

He rested his forehead gently against her feet, his voice quivering with emotion, "I promise you, I promise you that I'll be there. I don't want to lose a second of your life ever again. I'll be better. I'll be better for you. Daddy will be better, Alexa. I know..." he sniffled, "I know I don't deserve you. I know I don't deserve a second of your time after what I did but if your mommy allowed me, I'd spend the rest of my life making up for it. I promise."

He got up, wiping his tears. He walked closer to her and sat at the edge of the bed. He gently held her hand and kissed it.

"Mommy was sick, you were sick. I was messed up. If I hadn't left, we would have been happy together. I would have taken care of you and Mommy. Maybe, we'd still be in California. But I made a mistake. Daddy was selfish, really selfish to leave you both just like that. You both were mine, you both were my responsibility, not my father's. It's my fault. You can punish, hit me, you know, like you did to Ace and Christian," he laughed to himself.

He gently touched the bandage on her head, just staring and caressing her as if she were the world's most delicate and precious flower.

"If your mommy allowed us, maybe, I'll take golfing every weekend. If mommy allowed us, maybe, you'll call me Dad one day. I promise I'll be good, Alexa, I promise. I'll try to be the best dad you could ask for. I'll make up for our years lost if... if your mommy allowed us."