Chapter Forty-Nine - Blood is Thicker Than Water

Comment and vote! ❤️

My mom's hands firmly gripped my face, her eyes filled with concern and worry

My mom's hands firmly gripped my face, her eyes filled with concern and worry. "Axel, my baby, my child, are you okay? How did this happen? How did you get shot? Why are you here? You should be resting!"

"Axel, what happened?" Charlotte's voice resounded with a mixture of confusion and concern.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to find the words. "Mom... Mom, my daughter... She's in there. Alexa, she's my child. She's fighting for her life. I never got the chance to tell her that I'm her father, that she has a dad. Mom, she's mine... She's mine..."

My mom's tears flowed freely now, mixing with mine. "Oh my God, I knew, I just knew she was yours. I knew the moment I laid my eyes on her. I knew, baby..."

I furrowed my brow, surprised. "You did?"

"Of course, I did," she replied with a gentle smile through her tears. "She is your spitting image, and she will be just fine... You will get to tell her everything. You will get to be a part of her life. She will be fine."

Part of her life?

Chloe wouldn't let me...

Chloe...

My attention swiftly shifted toward Chloe's presence in the hallway. She stood alone, pressed against the distant corner, seemingly stuck to the wall of the room where Alexa was.

Being aware of my diverted focus, Charlotte instinctively followed my line of sight and hastened toward Chloe. Without any hesitation or asking a question, Charlotte did an unexpected action - she turned Chloe around and embraced her tightly. Surprisingly, Chloe reciprocated the hug and tears began streaming down her face.

Watching her sobbing like this drove me into a state of absolute madness. A seething anger was ignited within me, consuming my very being. Whoever is responsible for doing this to my daughter will face the consequences. And those consequences will be exacted through their blood.

"Axel?" Dad's voice fell on my ears, I didn't have the strength to fight him or even show him that I didn't want him here.

I was consumed by a deep sense of numbness like every ounce of life had been drained from within me. It felt as if the icy coldness that gripped my chest during the moments I believed I had lost Chloe had returned.

Raising my gaze towards Dad, I caught a glimpse of tears welling up in his eyes. It was a sight I had never witnessed before.

"Your daughter?" he asked, The disbelief in his tone didn't even affect me anymore.

I'm done, I'm mentally and physically exhausted, I'm fucking done. I have no strength left in me. She took all of my strength, Alexa took all of my strength, and I have none left. I have absolutely nothing left to give.