Chapter Thirty-Seven - A spoiled, ego-inflated, stuck-up man-child

Note: Remember that this is Chloe's POV, she doesn't know Axel's side of the story. Her behavior towards Axel is based on her experience with him.

Enjoy!

"Can you give me some space?" I asked, trying hard to keep the tears in

Why couldn't he see that I didn't want him here?!

He nodded. "I'll be across the street if you need me"

I won't need you. I don't need you.

When I heard his footsteps receding I stared back at the house in front of me. The house I grew up in. The white house with black window frames. The house I was raised in. The house my father lived in. The house where I spent the majority of my time as a child. The house I wanted to run back into. To crawl back into the walls and hide from the world. To just stay in that house and never leave. To never look out that window again. To never, ever step out of this house ever again.

"Louie, I'm sorry. I'll die without you..."

"I don't care!"

I walked to the front door, taking in its moth-eaten condition. I raised my hand and touched it, it felt as if it had been a decade since I was last here. Tears burned in my eyes as I slid down to the ground and pressed my side against the door, leaning my head over it.

"You were there, no matter how bad, how hard, and how messed up our life was. You were always there. You tried to be a good father, dad... If it wasn't for alcohol, I know you would have been the best father in the world. You are the only person who never left my side." I inhaled sharply as tears streamed down my face. I was glad that he couldn't see how hard I was crying in the dark. "Mom left me, my friends left me... Axel left me. You are the only one who didn't, no matter how many times I made you feel like you were a nuisance, that I didn't need you, that I would be better off without you" I sobbed harder than before. "I'm sorry, dad, I'm so sorry that I wasn't there when you needed me. I'm so sorry"

No one did this to him. His windpipe is clogged. The best scenario I can give is that he was passed out when he choked on his own vomit.

I sniffled. "I wish I could've been there to help you..."

I closed my eyes, the tears just won't stop. I didn't want to hold them in too, I wanted to let it all out. I don't want to cry over the past anymore, I stopped doing that a long time ago when I sold my soul to the devil but something about being here in this town is making me weak, it's opening deep, forgotten wounds, it's digging up memories that I didn't want to think about anymore. I was done with them. I was done with this life. I was done with this town.

My heart squeezed painfully in my chest as I wiped my tears and stood up. I held the scarf tighter around myself, I looked to see if he had left; he hadn't.