Chapter Twenty-Four

Its was like a red mist fell upon him.

Breac immediately tackled Laird Douglas. They crashed into the solid oak bed chambre door; splintering it and making them crash into the stone hallway.

Laird Douglas clawed at Breac's face a tactic that reminded Breac of when he would wrestle with sister. Breac punched the waste of space below him till his hand was bruised and the Laird's nose was gushing.

"If you ever lay a hand on her again I will kill you..do you hear me Lowlander! I will slaughter you!"Breac snarled loudly as his hands drifted to the Laird's neck and began to choke him with vigor.

Breac watched with satisfaction as the older man below his face had began to resemble Elspet's purple eyes.

His satisfaction was short lived when the cool metallic feeling of a broad sword made its home against the skin of Breac's neck.

"Release my father"

Breac slowly loosened his hands and slowly moved to look at his new adversary. His eyes fell upon a lad that seemed about his age. The lad's pale hair and grassy colored eyes made his lowlander status clear though he was broad and tall like many of Breac's fellow highlander warriors. He has a round face,sharp nose and thin lips that were pulled back in a growl.

Breac could take him.

In a flash Breac placed the back of his hand against the broad side of the sword and pushed up and to the right to dislodge the lowlanders grip on the weapon. Breac then launched himself at the other lad and pressed him against the stone wall with a elbow against his throat; effectively cutting off the green eyes lad's air supply.

"Enough!"

The thundering sound of Breac's father had him stepping away from the lowlander immediately.

Laird Macdonnell stood large and powerful in the hall; a look of murder gracing his face. " How dare ye attack not only The first son of Douglas but their Laird!!!" Laird Macdonnell immediately held a hand out to Laird Douglas who grasped it and peered at Breac with a secret smile..

Elspet who had been curled against the far stone wall in horror immediately ran to Breac who caught her and cradled her against his heaving chest.

"Ye should teach your son to not touch what is not his"Laird Douglas growled and he dusted himself out and wiped the blood that was sluggishly leaking from his nose.

Laird Macdonnell crooked a brow in question "Pardon me?"

"That Lass your son is holding is promised to Sioan Alpine"

Laird Macdonnell's eyes widened comically.

"And I doubt he would be happy to hear that his future bride was found under your son in his personal chambres"Laird Douglas threatened.

"I was protecting her! That monster has hid her away; belittled and beat her for years and now he is selling her to an even worst monster! Sion murdered his wife and bairn and now Laird Douglas wants to damn Elspet to the same fate!!"

Laird Macdonnell felt torn. His morals as a father and husband screamed at him to throw the Douglas's from his land and give the beautiful beaten lass in his son's arm refuge..But he was also a Laird..and his clan would not survive a conflict with Laird Alpine.

"Let her go son"