044. 'to always get me through the day'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

༻⊰❂⊱༺

XLIV. THE DAY WHEN THE WILD GOD IS GONE

━━━━━━

"I count the steps that you take

Do you see how much I need you right now?"

         IT WASN'T EASY RUNNING WITH bleeding ears, you know?

But at the same time, to stop would mean death. For at least right now anyway. They were running and wouldn't stop as Rachel steered them away from the mountain of traps, but there wasn't exactly any hesitation in their mind like always — only away from that dark mountain and the roar of Kronos that sounded so deafening.

Finally, they stopped in a tunnel of wet, white rocks, like part of a natural cave. The good thing: was Dodie didn't seem to hear anything coming behind them, following them, even though that didn't make them feel any safer. The bad thing: was her ears were bleeding so bad that it started to ring. But she couldn't think about it. All she could do was feel the chill that ran down her spine. She wasn't even near him, yet she could feel those unnatural golden eyes haunting her, slowly and nonchalantly turning her limbs into stone out of fear.

"I can't go any farther," Rachel gasped, hugging her chest.

Annabeth had been crying the entire time they had been running. Now she collapsed and put her head between her knees. The only sound that resonated all throughout the cave was her sobs that echoed against the walls. Dodie breathed heavily, wheezing in panic, as she searched throughout her pack for her first aid. You know, that's the downside of being the best Healer in camp; you can't even heal yourself with your own powers.

Across from her sat Nico and Percy, who were sitting next to each other against the rocks. Nico dropped his stygian iron blade next to Percy's Celestial bronze blade and took a shaky breath.

"That sucked," he said, which kinda summed things up pretty well.

"You saved our lives," Percy breathed.

Nico wiped the dust off his face. "Blame the girls for dragging me along. That's the only thing they could agree on. We needed to help you or you'd mess things up. Like always." He added with a murmur.

"Nice that they trust me so much," Percy shined my flashlight across the cavern. Water dripped from the stalactites like a slow-motion rain. "Nico... you, uh, kind of gave yourself away."

"What do you mean?"

"That wall of black stone? That was pretty impressive. If Kronos didn't know who you were before, he does now — a child of the Underworld."