013. 'touch my own skin and hope that I'm still breathing'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

༻⊰❂⊱༺

XIII. THE DAY THE LIGHT FLICKER TO A BOAR?

━━━━━━

"You show the lights that stop me turn to stone

You shine it when I'm alone"

         DODIE DID NOT EXPECT TO wake up from her sleep — well, she did not expect to even wake up from her sleep to begin with, but even so when she found out that it was an incredibly peaceful sleep. If this was how it was going to be all throughout the quest, then sign her up for more.

Alas, she also was aware that peace and quest was not the right answer to an equation. However, she did relished it with all she could until she realised that they had arrived on the outskirts of a little ski town nestled in the mountains. It had seemed that the train had taken them to Cloudcroft.

"And you're so sure about this how?" Grover sassed her.

Dodie quirked a brow. "I'm so sure because of that,"

They all turned to where she was pointing at; there was a large sign that said loudly:

WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT, NEW MEXICO

"Oh."

Dodie rolled her eyes. "Doubt me again, goat, and I'll make sure to barbeque you when we run out of food," she threatened.

Grover made a scared goat sound.

It was safe to say that Dodie was cranky, but she was not the only one. Thanks to the cold and thin air, they were far from being restful. As they ventured they saw that the roofs of the cabin were heaped with snow, and dirty mounds of it were simply piled up on the sides of the streets as tall pine trees loomed over the valley, casting pitch-black shadows, though the morning was sunny. It somewhat reminded Dodie of those postcard photos... only gloomy.

Thanks to the high altitude and the fact that it was winter, it was beyond freezing. Even Percy, who had his lion-skin coat, was shivering by the time they had arrived on Main Street, which was about half-a-mile from the train tracks they had gotten off from. Not even being reluctantly, awkwardly hugged by Dodie could quite melt away the cold... but it was comforting. Of course, Percy wasn't going to admit that. That would be loser behaviour.

However, as they continued to walk, Percy had conceded to Grover and Dodie about his conversation with Apollo that he had the night before — how he'd told him to seek out Nereus in San Francisco.

"Geez, he never fails to become a creep. Who comes out of nowhere when their daughter is dead asleep?" Dodie scoffed, eyeing the sun above with a stink face. Then she hummed in thoughtfulness, "Nereus, huh?"