043. 'i tried everything but it's useless'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

XLIII

XLIII. THE DAY A HAIRBRUSH WAS MORE POWERFUL

━━━━━━

"Got me going mad sitting in this chair

Like I don't care"

        IF THALIA GRACE WAS HERE, she would have simply been absolutely livid.

That was the only thing that was filling Dodie's head when she jumped out of the window that was at least five-hundred-feet above ground. There was so much adrenaline running course through her veins that she could only giggle uncontrollably as they practically skydived for a moment before finally making use of the bronze wings.

"I feel like a duck!" giggled Dodie, flapping her arms around, yet she couldn't fly properly and continued to plummet into some valley with red rocks — the Garden of the Gods. "I'm falling!"

"Spread your arms!" Annabeth's voice, infused with urgency, cut through the euphoria. "Keep them extended."

The very small part of her brain that wasn't high in adrenaline was able to hear her, and although it took a moment, she finally did it; Dodie spread her arms out, and the wing stiffened, catching the wind. What had been a very fast fall started to slow down more, and before she knew it she began to soar downward, but at a controlled angle, like a kite in a dive.

"I'm doing it! Weeee!"

"Don't just 'Weeee'!" Nico yelled through the great wings that were blowing through their faces, holding onto Dodie's hands in case she were to lose control of her wings — again.

"Stop being pessimistic and just weeee!" Dodie arced into the sky, the wind whistling in her ears.

After getting the hang of it, the feeling of flying was unbelievable. It felt like nothing was impossible.

"Yeah!" Percy exclaimed, soaring, swooping, and diving every now and then, taking in the thrill of the wings.

He turned and saw everyone — Rachel, Annabeth, Dodie, and Nico — spiralling above him, glinting in the sunlight. Whilst Rachel and Annabeth seemed somewhat anxious, though they had their wings completely in control, Dodie was giggling in an unhinged manner that Nico looked incredulous at. Behind them, smoke billowed from the windows of Daedalus's workshop.

"Land!" Annabeth yelled. "These wings won't last forever."

"How long?" Rachel asked.

"I don't want to find out!" Annabeth said.