022. 'i can't win your losing fight'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

༻⊰❂⊱༺

XXII. THE DAY I DECODED THAT THE GODS ARE GOING TO VOTE ON HOW TO KILL PERCY AND THALIA

━━━━━━

"The truth is hiding in your eyes

And it's hanging on your tongue"

          "I MUST GO TO OLYMPUS immediately," Straying her eyes from the night sky, Dodie deduced that this wasn't really going to be the easiest of goodbyes.

The thunder and lightning were still boiling over Mount Tamalpais in the north, and Artemis was still so upset over the death of her lieutenant that she kept on flickering with silver light. At this rate, Dodie thought that her aunt might as well appear in her fully divine form and disintegrate them all without trying. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."

The goddess set her hand on Annabeth's shoulder. "You are brave beyond measure, my girl. You will do what is right."

Totally not weird.

Then she looked quizzically at Thalia as if she weren't sure what to make of this younger daughter of Zeus. Thalia seemed reluctant to look up, but something made her, and she held the goddess's eyes. It was with uncertainty to discern what exactly had been passed between them, but Artemis's gaze softened with sympathy. Then she turned to Dodie.

Dodie perked up at being under Artemis's gaze, unsure what was going to happen when she felt a cold yet comforting palm resting on the side of her face. It was familiar. Gazing up, she saw Artemis looking at her with a sense of fondness and pride. "It was not easy, was it?" she said.

For a moment couldn't quite understand what she meant as she glanced at Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia. She then pursed her lips, "You must be surprised to see me, huh?" she managed a dry laugh, looking down.

"Not even the slightest bit," mused Artemis, "Actually, now that I thought about it, you have certainly gone against your vows. But dare I say, I am proud?"

Dodie pursed her lips as she looked around blushingly. It wasn't every day she would be told that someone was proud of her — actually, she had never heard such sincere words as: "proud."

Then Artemis turned to Percy.

"You did well," she paused. "For a man."

Percy wanted to protest. But then he realised it was the first time she hadn't called him a boy.

Artemis mounted her chariot, which began to emit a blinding glow. They shielded their eyes from the brilliance. In an instant, there was a flash of silver, and the goddess vanished, leaving them in the quiet darkness of the night.