036. 'just close your eyes, the sun is going down'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

XXXVI

XXXVI. THE DAY SAFE AND SOUND WAS NOTHING BUT ABSENT

━━━━━━

"I remember you said, 

"Don't leave me here alone""

          IF THE WORLD WERE TO listen to her, they would hear the haunting echoes of countless sobs that etched deep furrows upon her heart. Once the epitome of resilience, the tempest of her solitude had wrought havoc, corroding her once indomitable spirit. Her delicate soul, painted with shades of vulnerability, wore its grief not as armour, but as a simple shroud.

Each morning dawned as an uphill battle, an unrelenting storm that threatened to extinguish the last flicker of her spirit. Her world had dimmed, each hue faded into a monochromatic abyss, and the sun itself hesitated to emerge from a perpetually ashen sky. She'd linger beneath her shroud of blankets for hours, fingers intertwined with the memories he'd left behind as if that mere thread could bridge the unfathomable void.

It was hard to understand... to try and a conclusion as to what she felt at the moment. Was it sadness that clawed at her soul, or a simmering anger threatening to erupt? Perhaps it was the relentless ache that defied categorization? Throughout the entirety of her life, feelings were something she often accommodated as a form of familiarity. It was a labyrinth so elusive, yet so familiar. However, lately, it has been difficult.

Why? Well, it was such an easy yet complicated answer to a rather simple question.

Percy Jackson was gone.

And that, to her, became an object of obscurity to her.

It was something she didn't want to believe at first. Of course Dodie didn't want to believe it — why would she want to believe something so... so appalling? Something that almost sounded implausible?

Something that was so hard to swallow?

It was harrowing.

But she knew it was real; she had seen the volcano explode. She saw its fiery maw consuming everything before her very eyes as she stood beside Annabeth, seeking refuge with Hephaestus. The news broadcasts endlessly replayed the devastating cataclysm, yet all that devastation paled in significance when the painful truth settled in. What should have been a brief moment of distraction had morphed into destruction.

He was gone.

At least, that was the bleak verdict Chiron had the moment she and Annabeth had told him of what happened the very second they emerged back at camp without neither Percy nor Grover and Tyson by their side. Just them and their ashy, grimy state as their face decorated with marks of tears. Just them.