062. 'but you won't see me fall apart'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺

༻⊰❂⊱༺

LXII. THE DAY I LOST MY SUNS, AND MY HEART BECAME ELASTIC

━━━━━━

"And another one bites the dust

Oh, why can I not conquer love?"

        YOU KNOW, IF YOU WERE to tell little Dodie that she would be fighting with Helio and Prominence in her hands willingly against monsters, she would've told you that you're silly. Because, to her, back then, it used to be a silly notion; perhaps it was because she never really did have any reasons to fight with these two that now she could never part ways with.

It was almost crazy to think that this rapier and this bow that she held so close, once upon a time, were merely accessories to her. They used to be objects of curiosity rather than tools of necessity. What purpose did she truly have back then to fight except for the momentary breach of protection around camp that eventually, other people would resolve? Back then, Dodie D'Amour never considered herself a fighter; she had never seen the reason to be one. But the world had changed, and all she could do now was rely on them for survival.

As Dodie raced down Fifth Avenue, she dodged and slashed her rapier around, stabbing monsters in her way, poofing them into some mere golden dust that she would pay no mind to as she continued to fight a hopeless battle that felt like she could go on for forever. With each cut, with each bloodshed, it felt as if nothing had changed. The tides weren't changing no matter how much they were to try and fight back.

One moment, a glimmer of hope shed through the darkness. The next thing she knew, she was being ringed with enemies and not far from her, she saw the others struggling as well to keep up with the new wave; the Hunters were sending volleys of arrows individually only for more monsters to keep spawning; the little amount of semi-unwounded campers battled with each and every exhale but it wouldn't be too long before they were to get overwhelmed.

Even the three gods — Hades, Demeter, and Persephone — seem to struggle to stem the tide of monsters; Hades fought from his black chariot, unleashing wave after wave of zombies out of the ground; Demeter was fighting alongside of what was left of her children as Katie Gardner and her siblings decorated the whole street into a jungle; Persephone fought on her own, transforming enemy demigods into little flowers that were bound to be stomped amid the chaos. But the forces of the Titan's army seemed just as endless. Meanwhile, Manhattan was being destroyed. Mortals, now fully awake, were running in terror. Cars swerved and crashed.

Things had always looked bad for them. Each day proved to them just truly how unprepared they were for this, but also it fueled them the will to fight more. But right now, it was ruthless.