060. 'my demons aren't calling and tearing me to shreds?'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺

༻⊰❂⊱༺

LX. THE DAY I THOUGHT WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A HAPPY ENDING

━━━━━━

"I was your poster child, it was working for a while

Deeper than the truth"

         THE FIRST TIME SHE HAD ever had the blessing of meeting Silena Beauregard was when she was barely seven years of age. By that time in her life, she had already spent four summers at camp.

It was just a serendipitous meeting that had left a lasting impression, you could say. Silena was sweet. Silena was smart. Silena was pretty. Silena was loved. Silena Beauregard was everything Dodie had admired to be when she was older. Silena taught her a lot of things that the female figures of her life couldn't. To Andromeda D'Amour, Silena Beauregard was like a guiding star that would always shine brightly in the night sky.

But now, the same girl she had admired for so long was slipping away right before her eyes.

"What were you thinking?" Clarisse cradled Silena's head in her lap.

Silena tried to swallow, but her lips were dry and cracked. "Wouldn't... listen. The cabin... they'd only follow you."

"So you stole my armour," Clarisse said in disbelief. "You waited until Chris and I went out on patrol; you stole my armour and pretended to be me." She glared at her siblings. "And NONE of you noticed?"

The Ares campers developed a sudden interest in their combat boots.

"Don't blame them," Silena weakly interjected. "They wanted to believe I was you."

"You stupid Aphrodite girl," Clarisse sobbed. "You charged a drakon? Why?"

"It's all my fault," Silena whispered, a tear staining her cheek. "The drakon, Charlie's death... the camp endangered —"

"No — shut up and stop talking!" Dodie exclaimed, tears brimmed her eyes. "You need to save your energy, I'll heal —"

But Silena raised her shaky hands reaching the side of Dodie's face. She managed to smile the same smile she had done a decade ago. "Don't," her breath ragged, You... You need to know..."

Silena then shakily reached for something around her neck. She opened her hand and in her palm was a silver bracelet with a scythe charm, the mark of Kronos.

Dodie felt like her heart had been ripped out.

"You were the spy," Percy murmured.

Silena tried to nod. "Before... before I liked Charlie, Luke was nice to me. He was so... charming, and handsome. Later, I wanted to stop helping him, but he threatened to tell. He promised... he promised I was saving lives, that fewer people would get hurt. He told me he wouldn't hurt... Charlie. He lied to me."