054. 'and God knows, I'm not dying but I bleed now

.༻⊰❂⊱༺

༻⊰❂⊱༺

LIV. THE DAY I ACCIDENTALLY SPILLED MY OWN BLOOD

━━━━━━

"With all the blood I lost with you

It drowns the love I thought I knew"

        NO OFFENCE TO HER MOTHER, but the Kawasaki Vulcan was entirely useless in trying to get to the lower east side of Manhattan. But thankfully, Blackjack was on duty.

Percy did his very best taxicab whistle, and within mere a few minutes, three dark shapes circled out of the sky. They looked like hawks at first, but as they descended it was the Pegasus — Porkpie and Cherrypop with Blackjack in the lead. They landed swiftly with neighs and whines, and while Dodie gave Cherrypop a brush on his man, she didn't want to waste any time as she saddled him with immediacy. Her siblings were in need of help and she was not going to let them go through the Minotaur alone.

"We need to get to the Williamsburg Bridge," Percy told Blackjack.

Blackjack gave a neigh, and Percy's face contorted into a worry expression that he tried to hide, but Dodie caught immediately.

"What? What did he say, Percy?" demanded Dodie.

Percy looked around at her, pursing his lips. "It's not looking good..."

Her heart dropped.

They didn't waste any more moments and were lifted off the ground, making their way to the bridge.

Dodie felt a knot forming in her stomach; The Minotaur, she remembered around when she was twelve or so years old, was the beginning of Percy's story as a hero in Camp Half-Blood. She recalled all of the mutters of excitement and envy that went around the following morning of the news, and how he had somehow defeated the Minotaur, even bearing spoils of war from it. Sure, there were instances when she wondered about the Minotaur and if she would ever encounter it in her life, like when they were in the Labyrinth, but right now she was regretting even considering it.

The battle at Williamsburg Bridge was fierce and intense. Even before they were close enough to the scene, Dodie could make out individual fighters. It was well after midnight now, but the bridge blazed with light. Cars were burning. Arcs of fire streamed in both directions as flaming arrows and spears sailed through the air.

Percy, Dodie, and Annabeth came in for a low pass as the Apollo campers retreated. They would hide behind cars and snipe at the approaching army with their long-ranged guns, drawing their bows out and setting off explosive arrows, dropping caltrops in the road, building fiery barricades wherever they could, dragging sleeping drivers out of their cars to get them out of harm's way. But the enemy kept advancing. An entire phalanx of dracaenae marched in the lead, their shields locked together, spear tips bristling over the top. An occasional arrow would connect with their snaky trunks, or a neck, or a chink in their armour, and the unlucky snake woman would disintegrate, but most of the Apollo arrows glanced harmlessly off their shield wall. About a hundred more monsters marched behind them.