010. 'how am I gonna be an optimist about this?'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

༻⊰❂⊱༺

X. THE DAY I  DEDUCE THAT IT ISN'T BAD TO STAY HOME SOMETIMES

━━━━━━

"I was left to my own devices,

Many days fell away with nothing to show"

          DODIE HAD A DREAM ONCE upon a time.

Of course, aside from those horrendous demigod dreams, Dodie had once borne dreams that were usually filled with sunshine and rainbows... and death. But death in dreams usually signifies a change — changes are usually good... or bad... or whatever they want to be anyway. No one could quite literally run away from change.

But Dodie had a dream. And while deep and symbolic she wanted to be, that was not her point at all. Her point: was that dreams were supposed to be weird and happy and stuff filled with things you least expected. Like, you know, flying on a Pegasus and flying to the sea all for the sake of following a quest —

Oh. Wait. That's not a dream. That was her current reality.

"Oh, I knew we should've packed first!" yelled Dodie through the howling wind of December, gripping onto Percy's waist so tightly that her fingernails might as well embed itself into his skin like a bunch of pins.

Percy wanted to complain about the way she was holding onto him, but honestly, he wasn't sure whether it was the right thing to do right now. It never really occurred to him that someone who had been at camp longer than him could possibly never touch a Pegasus before. Much less riding it with the speed of lightning.

But he did give her a brief explanation of Pegasus riding. Though... perhaps mentioning how dangerous it was during the daytime because if you're not careful, you could actually cause a serious traffic accident on the Long Island Expressway, might not actually be as helpful as he wanted it it to be.

But still.

Truthfully, maybe he shouldn't really be blaming Dodie for being so frightened at the moment to the point of not wanting to let him go, for Blackjack wasn't exactly being careful; he was going faster than usual. And, well, it was kind of getting a bit dangerous.

"It's not that bad!" Percy said, trying to glance over his shoulder to meet her eyes, only to be met by the many strands of hair that were flying everywhere, despite it being gathered into one tie.

"Of course, you could say that. You've got fish body temperature," said Dodie.

"I do not — actually, maybe I do. I've never really thought about it before, you know?"