030. 'but reality hardens often'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

༻⊰❂⊱༺

XXX. THE DAY I TRY PRACTICE MY SHOOTING SKILLS AT AN ANCIENT CREATURE JUST TO GET OUT OF JAIL

━━━━━━

"Your eyes growing colder,

The mood going heavy"

         WELL, THEY KIND OF GOTTEN their first good news in a long while. Turns out, the left tunnel had seemed to be one the best decisions they had ever made, if Dodie were to say so heart. It was just a straight path with no side exits, twists, or turns that could potentially sabotage their whole quest and make them die early out of their sheer indecisiveness. Swell!

Oh, did she tell you guys the bad news yet? No? Good. Because the tunnel only led them to a complete dead end. After sprinting a hundred yards that felt like it could go on forever, they ran into an enormous boulder that completely blocked their path.

"OhmygodsOhmygodsOhmygods!" Dodie could hear the sound of dragging footsteps behind them so clearly that she wished she didn't have such a sharp hearing. It was breathing heavily, echoing down the corridor. Something — definitely not human — was on their tail. "It's getting really close for comfort," she panicked.

"Tyson," Percy said, "can you —"

"Yes!" He slammed his shoulder against the rock so hard the whole tunnel shook. Dust trickled from the stone ceiling.

"Hurry!" Grover said. "Don't bring the roof down, but hurry!"

The boulder finally gave way with a horrible grinding noise, and hurriedly Tyson pushed it into a small room. Immediately they dashed through behind it.

"Close the entrance!" Annabeth hastily, catching her breath.

Together, they scrambled to the other side of the boulder, desperately trying to push it back into place. The relentless pursuit behind them emitted a frustrated wail as they combined their efforts to heave the rock, sealing the corridor.

"We're not dead," Dodie gasped as she sank to her knees.

"We trapped it," Percy breathed.

"Or trapped ourselves," Grover added with a worried murmur.

As Dodie attempted to turn around, her heart plummeted like a ship sinking in the depths of the ocean. They found themselves in a small, twenty-foot-square cement room, and the wall on the opposite side was adorned with unforgiving metal bars. They had inadvertently tunnelled straight into a cell.

"What in Hades?" Annabeth exclaimed, tugging at the unyielding bars. They remained immovable. Through the gaps in the bars, they glimpsed a series of cells forming a ring around a dark courtyard, extending for at least three stories, with metal doors and catwalks interlacing above.